Heritage Owners Club

Alternative to Floating #3 follow up

MartyGrass

Here's the original thread. http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/15103-alternative-to-floating-3/

I had 500K pots and a Zoller floating pup put on my archtop. The improvement is dramatic. There are now some higher frequencies. I'm sure it was mostly going from 25K to 500K.

Comparing the Zoller to the Floating #3, the Zoller is slightly more articulate. I don't think the difference is worth the money and trouble of changing pups.

Now I have an extra #3 "floating" around.

Big fan of Fralin but not a big fan of unbridled single coils in an archtop. I like how he customizes not only the winds and wire but the pole piece positioning.

I played a Charlie Christian on an old L5 for a couple of years. Wonderful sound but the hum drove me crazy.

If I were to choose a single coil, it would be this.

Yes, Kent will build a HB within the Floating #3 case if you'd like for about $140. You can get neck and PG mounted pups from him.

I got a Shadow Zoller after a fair amount of research and discussion with a couple of seasoned luthiers, including the guy who built my archtop. I even talked with Kent Armstrong personally. I'm not disappointed at all with the Zoller. It's as good of a low output humbucker as I've ever had. I have another archtop with a Floating #3. That sounds good, too.

I found that the really experienced guys are generally less finicky about the pickups than guys who are less experienced. Ren Wall at Heritage is a perfect example.

Archived