Heritage Owners Club

Delays, echo's

JeffB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The audio difference you heard between the Carbon Copy vs the Nova Repeater was analog vs digital. Analog delays generally don't have as much high end, due to the technology they use to produce the delay. Some people like this characteristic, some don't.

There is a version of the Carbon Copy pedal that has more high end than the standard one, but it still will not have as much high end as a digital delay. Digital delays are much more capable and flexible -- you could never do the strymon type stuff with an analog delay -- but they are digital, so you are going through an A/D and D/A converter, deviating from analog.

I can definitely hear the difference between analog and digital, and I like pure analog the best. I keep my signal path analog as much as I can, but capable delays and reverbs require making an exception (although there are some that keep the dry part of the output analog).

Im no purist. Never have been though I did try to be one once. Didnt work out for me. :)

The Nova isnt true bypass either. But it works.

I do get pretty clearly defined sounds in my head that I want. Sometimes it starts out as a song needing a certain sound. I just keep going until what ever is between the fingers and the ear gets me there.

I once had a really cheap delay pedal on my board I never ever turned on. It thickened up the sound by just being in the chain.

A guy once came up to me during a break to say he liked my playing and really liked my strat sound, as we were talking and he was checking out my board he told me I needed to get rid of the pos delay. I told him that it was part of the thick strat sounds I was getting that he liked.

He snorted at me derisively!! Iimmediately I knew I had dropped in his estimation of me as someone who knew/had tone :D

But it was a key element with the gear I was using at the time. Its absolutely crap buffer was the thing that tied everything that came before it together. :)

Archived