Heritage Owners Club

Mesa Maverick setting advice

Mikenov

So I pulled the trigger on trading my Rivera Chubster for a Mesa Maverick head.

I am pretty happy so far. That dirty channel was a challenge at first but with a little tweaking I think I have gotten rid of the bee's nest that was hiding in there making that buzzing sound.

If any of you out there have any settings you like to use on this amp and don't mind sharing please let me know.

I really dig that clean channel though. Nice chime with some heft.

Glad you are liking your new amp.

Have you tried voicing the clean with the gain cranked up lots yet? You might be surprised by how dirty it can get, especially on the fat side of the bright/fat switch. Wonderful blues tones to be had there. Also, I get fatter tones out of both channels with the channel masters set at between 10 and 2:00, roll off the overall master a bit.

yes I have. That sound is what I was looking for. the gritty dirt sounds that cleans up nicely with the roll back of your guitar volume. But never loses the bite.

Of course every amp I own, this is the sound I dial in no matter what. On this amp though, it's got a distinctive hi-mid bite that is different. And I am very certain this amp would cut through a mix like butter even if it's wasn't very loud (which it is). That dirt channel really is worthless though unless its cranked. I don't get how it could be so muddy and dark sounding until you open it up a bit but that is exactly what I have experienced. When I first got it, I brought it home at 9PM and the girls were asleep so I had to play it real low and I thought something was wrong with it.

Nope. I am pretty happy with this trade. It has a distinctive sound that I wasn't getting with anything else I have.

Thanks allot Mav212 for your advice and help when I was looking at it too.

It turned out great.

Now it's time to return my 4x12 cab back to the dungeon where it resides most times and start playing at room volume again. My kids and wife will thank me.

:)

yes I have. That sound is what I was looking for. the gritty dirt sounds that cleans up nicely with the roll back of your guitar volume. But never loses the bite.

Of course every amp I own, this is the sound I dial in no matter what. On this amp though, it's got a distinctive hi-mid bite that is different. And I am very certain this amp would cut through a mix like butter even if it's wasn't very loud (which it is). That dirt channel really is worthless though unless its cranked. I don't get how it could be so muddy and dark sounding until you open it up a bit but that is exactly what I have experienced. When I first got it, I brought it home at 9PM and the girls were asleep so I had to play it real low and I thought something was wrong with it.

Nope. I am pretty happy with this trade. It has a distinctive sound that I wasn't getting with anything else I have.

Thanks allot Mav212 for your advice and help when I was looking at it too.

It turned out great.

Now it's time to return my 4x12 cab back to the dungeon where it resides most times and start playing at room volume again. My kids and wife will thank me.

:)

Wonderful! Just one more idea in the FWIW department on the dirty channel...I had excellent luck runnning a used but still strong vintage Siemens shortplate 12ax7 in V2 followed by a very well used vintage Mullard shortplate 12ax7 in V3...they both are pretty beefy in the bottom and lower mids, roll back the bass knob, mids and treble will open up sweetly and bloom better, the buzzy bees problem should improve some, and the tones overall will become more musical. High bass knob settings are a harmonic killer, especially in a dirty channel.

So glad that you are enjoying it!

Archived