Heritage Owners Club

Hello and a question about a replacement H-150 tailpiece

Peter Cl

New to the forum, the post count being a dead giveaway :)

This is my '91 H-150. It has soul.

IMAGE (See below post)

The only change carried out thus far has been Graphtech saddles, necessitated by the fact that it kept popping E strings either on the stock Schaller roller saddle or at the tailpiece (which I will come to) while bending. Although it is now strung a lot heavier than when this change was made, with little bending going on, I have had no urge to revert to the roller saddles.

The transformation this wonderful instrument has undergone, by the way, after stringing it old-school medium gauge (ie, with 13's) probably deserves a thread of its own.

So, while string breakage at the saddle is a thing of the past, some of this unruly behaviour is still happening at the stock Schaller tailpiece, at the string insert. I contacted Heritage ages ago about this, and the recommendation was to make sure the ball end was lying correctly in place. Well, it sometimes seems to settle at an angle and breakage occurs. (I have no issues with Schaller humbuckers, or other hardware made by them, but their roller bridge/top-load tailpiece setup could be a "solution" in search of a problem).

I am about to order a TonePros replacement from a UK supplier (I live in Spain) and my question to you knowledgeable folk is should it be the T1ZS Standard item (I imagine it would be this one) or T1Z Metric ?

Cheers 

Nice Guit--welcome!

Since it's made in the USA, I would assume it would be the standard model.

Have you ever thought about raising the tailpiece so the string angle isn't so severe? Or, you could try top-wrapping the tailpiece.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't know about raising it; the problem appears to be caused by the string loop rubbing against the side of the insert. Now, top-wrapping is something I would never have considered. No harm in trying it!

As far as I can remember my Schaller tailpiece, top wrapping is impossible since there are no holes through it and in most cases it is screwed way on the body so it does not leave room to pull strings underneath it.

Top wrapping looks possible with the Schallerbut, not very practical. Would imagine its a PITA to carry out.You would have to raise the studs and this looks like it would reduce the break angle to an unacceptable level. Think the strings would start popping out of the saddles. Im not bothering although, I do like top wrapping. :)

New Guy here Just bought a Lefty H-150 CSB 1997 and I installed a Tonepros TOM Bridge and Tailpiece I have these in my other LP guitars and find they have so many less moving parts than the standard Issue Shaller and much better tone.

I know guys that are drilling and tapping there own bridges and tailpieces now, I don't own a drill press but if I did I would do the same.

How do you post a photo Thanks!!

Pete

Thanks for the feedback.

To post a photo, you either upload it to this message board (see below reply text box), in which case it appears as a thumbnail (I think) or you host it somewhere like photobucket and link to it (click on the "insert image" icon).

Archived