Heritage Owners Club

HRW coil tap report....

cosmikdebriis

Having established HRW's are a Schaller based pup I decided a coil tap was an option.

So I used the "series/parallel" tap option from the Stewmac site. Link below.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-SCHALLER.html

The reason I chose this option was because the more conventional tap, (which actually just shorts out one of the coils), gives a reduced output and is not hum canceling.

This option gives less treble but is hum canceling and most importantly there is only a very slight reduction in output.

So... As I had a push pull pot, I swapped it out and gave it a go. Soldering was a little fiddly but nothing to dramatic. I ought to add I tapped the bridge pup and on my 150.

The end results were surprising to say the least... :o

With the selector switch in bridge the difference between tap and std was quite minimal, kind of what I was expecting. tapped there was a slight increase in treble, not exactly single coil sounding, but not as dark as the bucker. Output was reduced but barely audible and not really a problem.

The unexpected difference came with the selector in the middle position/both pickups.  I'm not exactly sure why but with the neck in bucker and the bridge in tap mode there is a whole new sound available  :o The nearest I can think to compare it to is the "quack" you can get from a (5 position) Strat . More Donald than Daffy perhaps but certainly worth having... A very distinctive sound indeed. 8)

Compared to installing a new pickup, the cost to do this is minimal and I'd highly recommend it as the difference in sound is quite amazing.

If anyone else fancies giving it a go and needs any advice I'd be happy to help.

There's plenty of info regarding this on the web and I'd suggest a bit of research before you get your soldering iron out.

Having established HRW's are a Schaller based pup I decided a coil tap was an option.

So I used the "series/parallel" tap option from the Stewmac site. Link below.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-SCHALLER.html

The reason I chose this option was because the more conventional tap, (which actually just shorts out one of the coils), gives a reduced output and is not hum canceling.

This option gives less treble but is hum canceling and most importantly there is only a very slight reduction in output.

So... As I had a push pull pot, I swapped it out and gave it a go. Soldering was a little fiddly but nothing to dramatic. I ought to add I tapped the bridge pup and on my 150.

The end results were surprising to say the least... :o

With the selector switch in bridge the difference between tap and std was quite minimal, kind of what I was expecting. tapped there was a slight increase in treble, not exactly single coil sounding, but not as dark as the bucker. Output was reduced but barely audible and not really a problem.

The unexpected difference came with the selector in the middle position/both pickups.  I'm not exactly sure why but with the neck in bucker and the bridge in tap mode there is a whole new sound available  :o The nearest I can think to compare it to is the "quack" you can get from a (5 position) Strat . More Donald than Daffy perhaps but certainly worth having... A very distinctive sound indeed. 8)

Compared to installing a new pickup, the cost to do this is minimal and I'd highly recommend it as the difference in sound is quite amazing.

If anyone else fancies giving it a go and needs any advice I'd be happy to help.

There's plenty of info regarding this on the web and I'd suggest a bit of research before you get your soldering iron out.

excellent!  now if i can just apply this to my semi-hollow, ditch the tone controls in favor of  a master volume and a 'variable phase', and try it on my SD59's in my 158.....  who knows what might happen ?  ;)

Archived