Heritage Owners Club

535 vs 555

heritagefan7

Great site. Lots of info...My 555 is opaque black so checking any kind of grain or flame is out...ebony fretboard I believe. It can get really bright but can also swing to warm w/ minor adjustments in tone control. This is just a great guitar!

Congratulations on your new 555. It's a great guitar. Once you've had time to bond with it and get to know it, you will find lots of tonal capabilities.

looking at it from another point of view, you can have two guitars with the same timbers, ie two 555's built identically until you put different picks ups, then you plug them into different amps, set the tone and volume levels to your own particular choice on both guitar and amp, different strings, (even guitr leads)the pics you use, your own fingers and how you play, and you are bound to get different tones. So, really, at the end of the day, the sound is in your own ears. I playa 555 because when I had the money, that was what was available. Had a 535 been available, that's what I would have bought.

looking at it from another point of view, you can have two guitars with the same timbers, ie two 555's built identically until you put different picks ups, then you plug them into different amps, set the tone and volume levels to your own particular choice on both guitar and amp, different strings, (even guitr leads)the pics you use, your own fingers and how you play, and you are bound to get different tones. So, really, at the end of the day, the sound is in your own ears. I playa 555 because when I had the money, that was what was available. Had a 535 been available, that's what I would have bought.

I completely agree. Granted all guitars have a sound, but sometimes, I think we make too much about the sound the guitar makes and not enough about our technique. I've been listening to some Blues players like: Kenny Wayne Shepard, Muddy Waters, Johnny Winters, Clapton and so many of them get the sound they want. We buy the same stuff they use and it doesn't sound the same... I know equipment matters, but how much do we matter in the final sound? I know some guys that sound good playing anything and some guys don't sound good on the best equipment money can buy. There is no shortcut for good playing and getting the most from your rig.

I completely agree. Granted all guitars have a sound, but sometimes, I think we make too much about the sound the guitar makes and not enough about our technique. I've been listening to some Blues players like: Kenny Wayne Shepard, Muddy Waters, Johnny Winters, Clapton and so many of them get the sound they want. We buy the same stuff they use and it doesn't sound the same... I know equipment matters, but how much do we matter in the final sound? I know some guys that sound good playing anything and some guys don't sound good on the best equipment money can buy. There is no shortcut for good playing and getting the most from your rig.

Well said. The possibiites seem endless, and I think that is a plus. It's nice to actually sound like I sound b/c there's already been a John Lee Hooker, BB King and a Muddy Waters. I can't be better than those guys at their sound--and don't WANT to be...too much pressure! It doesn't always have to be about getting it right...sometimes it's just as rewarding (if not maybe more)to just be getting it--& doing it. Besides, those guys didn't end up sounding like anybody else---isn't that one of the reason that people like them?

Archived