Heritage Owners Club

What I want in a new Heritage...

PacerX

OK, Heritage is going through some changes.

I think there are some things I'd like to see them give a shot, if they would be willing.

1) It's time for the CNC machinery to be applied where it makes the most sense.

2) Locking tuners across the board.  Locking tuners are the bee's knees, and I can't see any reason not to make them universal apart from cost.  If you have a guitar with them, I'll bet you'll agree they are worth it.  My first mod to my H-150?  A set of Grover lockers.

3) Broaden the pickup selection, and advertise that you've done so.  I hear the HRW's are cool, but if I'm buying an H-150 or H-157 in the future, it's getting a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.  Others may have their own preferences.  Varied pickup selections don't really complicate the bill of materials that much.

4) Make available more neck profiles and radii.  Some of us like our necks like we like our women - wide and flat.  With CNC machinery, multiple neck profiles are a breeze... a) Load neck blank into fixture.  B) Select neck profile program.  c) Press the green button.  d) Have a smoke.  e) Take perfectly cut neck out of CNC machine and send it to the next operation.

5) The option of stainless steel frets.  Some claim that stainless steel frets effect the tone... I find this to be a dubious claim.  If they do, allow the option.  If they don't, use them across the board.  Refretting a neck is no fun, and stainless lasts a LOT longer (it's a lot harder).

6) Here's a bad word... How about a set-neck Strat-style guitar?  Maybe even a bolt-on neck one?  I know there used to be one... and apparently it didn't sell well, but I think that was due to three main issues... a) It was visually a little odd looking.  B) It only had a Kahler available... Kahlers are OK, but Floyd Rose rules the tremolo world for a reason... yes, I've owned both... c) It hit about the same time "grunge" did.  Which meant that the shred guitar was going to take a nap anyway... along with the ability to actually play the instrument...

7) Embracing new technology doesn't mean that you have to abandon what made Heritage great.  It just needs to be judiciously applied.  Guitarists are conservative by nature regarding appearance (3 styles of electric guitar dominate the guitar world - the Les Paul, the Telecaster and the Stratocaster - with the Strat literally burying the other two in terms of units sold), but they are not necessarily conservative where technology is concerned.  The success of Line6 is a prime example, along with the fact that Taylor and PRS are very, very sucessful - and cut nearly EVERYTHING on CNC equipment.

Some other interesting technologies:

1) The Floyd Rose Speedloader.  I own one and love it.  Flat-out the best tremolo system made, period.

2) RMC guitar synth pickups.  The Roland GK system is kind of a dud.  The synth itself is cool, the pickup blows.  Darn things don't track worth a damn.  The RMC system is a huge improvement.

Finally, regarding appearance and styling...

It's critical.  Properly done, it can make or break an instrument in the market.  PRS got it right, others have not.  The Eddie Van Halen signature model MusicMan/Peavey guitars comes to mind in the "OOOPS" department.  Great instruments... just odd enough looking that they haven't had any real impact.  Eddie is back to Strats nowadays.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...topic,50.0.html

Not going to argue about a CNC machine.

Locking tuners are for people who don't know how to string.  The only advantage the offer is quicker string changes.  If you string the guitar properly locking tuners are absolutely not needed.  Many people (myself included) think the added weight throws the guitar off balance and can have a negative effect on tone.

I belive the entire line of Seylour Duncan picups and Lollar picups are already available.  What more do you want? 

I'm a big fan of stainless steel frets.  However, they would absolutey have to change their fretting technique if they were to offer these.

Stick with G word inspired intruemnts.  There are enought high quality strat knock off out there that we don't need another.

Locking tuners are for people who don't know how to string. 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I install/tune my strings the "old-fashioned" way, and I've NEVER had any tuning/slipping issues--EVER!

I would like to see more consistency on binding/fretboard filing and finish. If it takes a machine to accomplish this, then so be it!

I agree on #2-no reason a guitar should be made without 'em at this point.  And yes, I know how to string a guitar. ;)

Regardless of how well you string one, a good set of lockers properly installed and properly strung (yes, there's a right way with them, too) will give you more stable tuning-especially if there's a trem involved.  As far as weight goes, a Sperzel locker weighs less than a standard Grover tuner.  Negative effect on tone?  I guess it's possible.  I can't hear it, though.

I used to discard an instrument for an entire set or evening before when a string broke.  With locking tuners, I can restring between tunes.  MUCH quicker.  That alone is worth it.

the option to have p90's or other single coils on various models would be nice.  I think the Wolfe-Heritage  137 is a winner and a classic... from what I can tell in the pictures anyway.

I agree on #2-no reason a guitar should be made without 'em at this point.  And yes, I know how to string a guitar. ;)

Regardless of how well you string one, a good set of lockers properly installed and properly strung (yes, there's a right way with them, too) will give you more stable tuning-especially if there's a trem involved.  As far as weight goes, a Sperzel locker weighs less than a standard Grover tuner.  Negative effect on tone?  I guess it's possible.  I can't hear it, though.

I used to discard an instrument for an entire set or evening before when a string broke.  With locking tuners, I can restring between tunes.  MUCH quicker.  That alone is worth it.

Yup.

What he said.

I guess we have to agree to disagree!  ;D

99% of tuning problems are caused by binding at the nut and/or bridge.  I will agree they make string changes quicker and for some that is reason enough to use them - so be it.

PS  I prefer Shcaller locking tuners to Sperzels for the following reasons:

1.  16:1 (Schaller) vs. 12:1 (Sperzel) tuning ratio allows for finer tuning.

2.  The knurled nut on the bottom is larger and doesn't chew up your fingers when tuning.

3.  The knulred nut on the bottom can't come off, therby losing the little pin inside the Sperzel rendering the tuner useless.  Try finding that pin on a dark stage!  :o

I guess we have to agree to disagree!  ;D

99% of tuning problems are caused by binding at the nut and/or bridge.  I will agree they make string changes quicker and for some that is reason enough to use them - so be it.

PS  I prefer Shcaller locking tuners to Sperzels for the following reasons:

1.  16:1 (Schaller) vs. 12:1 (Sperzel) tuning ratio allows for finer tuning.

2.  The knurled nut on the bottom is larger and doesn't chew up your fingers when tuning.

3.  The knulred nut on the bottom can't come off, therby losing the little pin inside the Sperzel rendering the tuner useless.  Try finding that pin on a dark stage!  :o

Agreed! :)

And good to know-I have a set of Schallers waiting for me at home right now (UPS just dropped 'em off), they are going on my 535.  And I've heard that about Sperzels-thankfully I've not had to experience it! :)

Dunno... this 535 is equipped with Schaller tuners.  I had no idea Heritage even used 'em.  I'll find out of they are a direct swap later.

The only thing I've ever replaced Grovers with are Grover lockers-no extra holes needed.  But I will admit they are my LEAST favorite locker so far.  Aligning those offset holes are a pain.

I usually replace Fender-type tuners with Sperzels.  You have to drill for the Sperzels, but you can put the originals back on and the holes are not visible.

I put Grover lockers on my 170 and I havent heard any difference in tone. Sounds the same to my ears. I use them because I find normal grovers, even with the tension adjusted can slip ever so slightly. They just fit straght on where the old ones were.

I also have the roller bridge and the lockers make stringing much easier as you dont have to have 3 hands to stop the ball end slipping out of that PITA tilting retainer. I think they have really improved tuning stability.Really steady guitar even when I thrash the hell out of it. Never used Sperzels but, Ive heard mixer reports. Some say they really improve stability others say thay are too fiddly.Guess its a trade off.

The grover lockers are really easy because they have the cool locking capstan doodah. No fiddling with locking caps.

Just my thoughts anyway. Hehe

I guess that explains why I've never tried them. I don't gig (though I want to!), and I usually change strings every couple months or so.

I'd love to see stainless frets. My hunch is that if they affect the tone, they'd make it brighter. For some guitars and/or players that would be desirable. Maybe they could offer a wide variety of options from their custom shop so we could get one built to order. I'd also like to see Heritage come out with something cutting-edge new that is the product of experience, combining the best of old and new. I think the D-VIP system is an excellent development in the electronics area, allowing full adjustment between single-coil and humbucking modes. And of course, Let's not forget f-hole guitars, because Heritage makes some wonderful ones.

Archived