Heritage Owners Club

interesting discussion on 140, weight relief, chambers

cod65

I'd agree with most points on that post.

I like both chambered/weight relieved and solid LP style guitars, but prefer 9.5lb solid bodies for the authentic 150 (LP) tone!!!

Interesting, but not surprising, that Alex Skolnick wanted his guitars heavier (around 10-10.5lbs).

I'd agree with most points on that post.

I like both chambered/weight relieved and solid LP style guitars, but prefer 9.5lb solid bodies for the authentic 150 (LP) tone!!!

Interesting, but not surprising, that Alex Skolnick wanted his guitars heavier (around 10-10.5lbs).

I'm thinking about hollowing out a chamber in the back of an old carvin that I have. but need to do more of this kind of research.

I'm thinking about hollowing out a chamber in the back of an old carvin that I have. but need to do more of this kind of research.

One question.

WHY???? :undecided:

One question.

WHY???? :undecided:

I like semi hollow sound. A luthier at a local shoppe describes 'weight relieved' as 'tone relieved'  ;D

but what i'm after is more like a tele deluxe,

dont worry, kuz, i'd never do it to an Heritage ;)

From my experience a wt relieved/chambered guitar may give more sustain, but you will lose a lot of the grit & grunt (LP tone) and it will sound thinner.

If you are looking for a semi-hollow 535 tone, I don't think chambering/wt relieving a guitar will do that for you. You need a hollow guitar, with a solid plank, and some type of "f" holes.

Just thoughts from my experience. But if you don't like the guitar as it is now, I say go for it!

From my experience a wt relieved/chambered guitar may give more sustain, but you will lose a lot of the grit & grunt (LP tone) and it will sound thinner.

If you are looking for a semi-hollow 535 tone, I don't think chambering/wt relieving a guitar will do that for you. You need a hollow guitar, with a solid plank, and some type of "f" holes.

Just thoughts from my experience. But if you don't like the guitar as it is now, I say go for it!

thanks for the heads up, Kuz, I am soliciting as many opinions as I can. There's something so bland about early 80's carvin's - they are PERFECT  for experimentation.  And solid as hell.  I think I paid ab out 400$ for it, so it's not a huge  blow if it doesn't work .

FWIW. My "other" LP is a G-word Vintage Mahogany, which supposedly has a chambered body.  I don't like the "feel" near as much as my H-157, and with its rough finish it's pretty much an ugly Betty up close, but the sound is great, and the sustain is pretty darned impressive (noticably more than my H-157), though I'm not sure I understand why chambers affect that  :dontknow: Considering this is the cheapest LP  the g-people make (for a while FQM had them for $599, but the price then went up to over $800), I thought it was worthy of consideration (especially since I have a bad back, and a few pounds lighter really helps me out),  also since it comes with the Burstbucker pro's which are not usually on the cheaper models. The quality is very spotty, so you'll probably have to try a few before you find a decent one, but for whatever reason I feel that the g-people seemed to get this right as a decent guitar for a decent price.

Now if Heritage made something like this, I'm sure it would be real killer! But then again.. they probably would, if you just knew what to ask for. So who could ask for more.

Archived