Heritage Owners Club

kahuna!

drewzee87t

I got a beam on a kahuna model and am trying to figure out pricing. Can anyone PM me some info - if you have ever seen one sold, heard about one sold, have any idea market value? I have some clue as to list price, but that's meaningless. The guitar is also in less than perfect condition so I need to determine a bottom line and decide if I try to negotiate it. It's got a real nice flame top, great tone, but it's got some battle scars. It's been dropped, probably more than once but nothing that wouldn't happen if you actually used the guitar (I try not to drop guitars, but I have a wife, and she has cats. Sh** happens when guitars aren't in cases all the time). I played it for awhile and it really needs a setup, otherwise just the scars from it's fall from heaven. Great sounding guitar with the HRW's. I have already gone over my guitar budget for the year, so this is kind of pipe dreaming for me, but I have the cash and the syndrome is upon me. If I got some info that would allow me to make an offer that was fair to me and to the dealer, we might have a new family member to keep millie, flyboy, moorey, paulette, Marty D and California Larry company. As an aside, guess what the guitars are from their names :)

I have no idea what it's worth, as I don't recall ever seeing one other than a picture on Chris Bovard's web page (IIRC, it was his web page, it might have been someone else's).  As they're likely to be scarce, your best bet might be to find a Heritage model that is reasonably available and go from the market prices on those.  If you can't find any Kahuna sales as comparables, I think that's your best bet...take the market price for a couple of 157 sales, adjust for condition (up or down) relative to your Kahuna, then adjust up a bit for the relative rarity of the Kahuna.

Good luck with the deal, make sure you post pictures!  And a tone report!  Maybe some clips!  ;D

Archived