Heritage Owners Club

NPD

t0aj15

I don't post very often about new pedals but this one is IMO the best pre-amp/distortion pedal I've ever heard. It's called the Seymour Duncan Twin-Tube Classic and unfortunately it's already out of production, in fact I may have gotten the last 'new' unit out there. I first learned of this pedal last weekend while watching a John McLaughlin interview about his gear. I was so interested I immediately began searching the web for info and was very disappointed to discover the unit was already out of production, but I did manage through Amazon.com to find one last unit at a music store in NY. After watching several YouTube videos about the pedal I decided to gamble on that one last unit and ordered it Sunday afternoon and I'm very happy I did. It not only surpasses any pedal distortions I've ever heard but is also far better then most amps in that regard also. It does utilize two sub-miniature 6021 tubes to achieve it's tone so there are no clipping diodes (the bane of modern gear IMO). The pedal has two channels rhythm/lead each with a volume and gain control as well as shared bass and treble controls. That's it. It is simple, elegant, and sounds very good. It is also the best looking pedal I own with a very rich copper finish. I have so far tried it with six different amps and it improved every one of them, including the lowly Fender Mustang III which it managed to de-sterilize enough to make it somewhat usable.

McLaughlins use of this pedal is in a very basic pedal-board that contains a tuner> SD TT> mxr chorus> mxr delay> out to the PA, no amp. The Twin Tube is his amp. I haven't tried it this way yet but will probably get around to that today.

I agree the Twin Tube is an excellent pedal. For the most part i play through a Mesa Lonestar special which i love but when I play at church I use the Twin Tube and go direct to the PA. I gives a nice warm clean tone that you can get to overdrive with the volume on the guitar when you need a little drive and the lead channel is real nice, very smooth overdrive tone. i was not aware that they stopped making it.

Archived