Heritage Owners Club

Amp build questions

I'm not sure exactly when it's going to be but I'm going to try an amp kit soon and have a couple questions.

1 I'm thinking of building a 5f4 does anyone have any experience with one, wondering if it will stay pretty clean with the right tube choice and what about the bass, solid or tweedy?

2 For you guys that have done some amp building do you think I should start with something simpler or would I be OK with this? For reference I've built quite a few pedals, replaced tube sockets and transformers in amps, tons of guitar wiring and some residential electrical stuff, and built/fixed lots of cars and trucks.

3 I'm looking for a fender clean sound with a nice tight bass, no frills, no verb no trem etc., for club gigs, if this won't get it can you suggest something that will?

4 Weber seems to have some pretty fair prices has anybody used any of their parts or kits? (Other than speakers)

Open for any advice or suggestions I really value the knowledge and opinions here so feel free to chime in if you have anything.

5F4Ceriatone.jpg

I think you've picked a decent start to amp building here, considering your head-start with pedal building, etc. I'm not familiar personally with the playing dynamics of this amp but from the things I've read this morning, it seems it stays clean to about two thirds up the volume (dependant on the pickups driving it, I guess). Bass flubbiness can be controlled with the right speaker selection: a couple of Greenbacks for instance. The other obvious option for your requirements is a Bassman - you might find more kits out there for that amp too.

A kit is a good way to go. Look for one with a clear layout diagram and detailed, step-by-step instructions. Weber's layouts are very good. The Ceriatone layout above is excellent too. Trying to work from the old Fender layouts can be almost impossible! Don't worry about building from schematics - I only use the schematic occasionally in a build.

One suggestion from me on this one: the output transformer spec for a tweed Super is 4 ohm. That could be a bit limiting - try to get a 4/8/16 ohm OT to give yourself more speaker options along the way. You might like to put a 15in speaker in there one day.

Feel free to PM me as you move through the project; I found it useful to get another opinion on my plans from time to time :) Above all, be methodical in your planning and execution. You'll thank yourself when you start each day!

I would agree with Howard.

5f4 should be a straightforward build. One great bit of advice I got from KBP810 is when you start your build, as you complete each task highlight it on the layout sheet. That way you know what steps you have covered. I'm kinda stupid anal so I used a different color highlighter for each work session that way I could look back a know what I did each day.

5F4Ceriatone.jpg

I think you've picked a decent start to amp building here, considering your head-start with pedal building, etc. I'm not familiar personally with the playing dynamics of this amp but from the things I've read this morning, it seems it stays clean to about two thirds up the volume (dependant on the pickups driving it, I guess). Bass flubbiness can be controlled with the right speaker selection: a couple of Greenbacks for instance. The other obvious option for your requirements is a Bassman - you might find more kits out there for that amp too.

A kit is a good way to go. Look for one with a clear layout diagram and detailed, step-by-step instructions. Weber's layouts are very good. The Ceriatone layout above is excellent too. Trying to work from the old Fender layouts can be almost impossible! Don't worry about building from schematics - I only use the schematic occasionally in a build.

One suggestion from me on this one: the output transformer spec for a tweed Super is 4 ohm. That could be a bit limiting - try to get a 4/8/16 ohm OT to give yourself more speaker options along the way. You might like to put a 15in speaker in there one day.

Feel free to PM me as you move through the project; I found it useful to get another opinion on my plans from time to time :) Above all, be methodical in your planning and execution. You'll thank yourself when you start each day!

I was seriously considering the Bassman too, but the 2X10 cab really appeals to me, should be a little lighter, and I thought the circuits would be fairly close in sound. The OT supplied with the kit is 2/4/8. I do have a couple projects I need to finish up first so I can dedicate the space to just the amp.

I would agree with Howard.

5f4 should be a straightforward build. One great bit of advice I got from KBP810 is when you start your build, as you complete each task highlight it on the layout sheet. That way you know what steps you have covered. I'm kinda stupid anal so I used a different color highlighter for each work session that way I could look back a know what I did each day.

That's a good idea I'm a little scatterbrained.

Make sure you have a multimeter and a current limiter and know how to use them.

Multimeter yes current limiter no. Have to look into that.

yes, light bulb is the way to go. This is used for initial power ups so that if there are problems leading to too much current draw, you don't burn up a transformer or burn down your house.

yes, light bulb is the way to go. This is used for initial power ups so that if there are problems leading to too much current draw, you don't burn up a transformer or burn down your house.

Ok I know what you mean now, I did read a little about that already, and I definately need to do some more reading before the 1st power up, but I have a little while until I need to worry!

• 3 weeks later...

Note that Weber kits don't include step-by-step instructions. I think Mojotone's and Marsh's 5F4 kits do, but are more expensive. They do include higher-quality parts than the Weber.

I love Allen Amp kits. Most include instructions and all are very high quality. But they don't sell a 5F4 model. Most of their models are based on blackface designs.

I have a 5F4 Super from a Weber kit. Absolutely ............. very tweedy. Well, it was until I made a few substitutions. Forget Mercury Magnetics for your trannys. I have a Hyboer PT and a Magnetic Components OT. The difference is all the world between a decent amp and a great amp! Dump any JJ pre's for some NOS or just older tubes. The JJs will be too hot, leaving you with no clean headroom.

The T/B controls are very interactive on mine. If I'm after uber clean the Treb and Bass stay below 6. If I'm wanting to drive it hard then I dime the T/B. And it will be loud. Very loud for the approx 28w.

I had a custom baffle built for a 1x12. Dumped the 2x10s. Mine is a very versatile, ready for gigging amp. It loves either HBs or SCs. Good choice for a build, I say.

Archived