Heritage Owners Club

Speaker wiring and switching

H

Wiring a two speaker cabinet: I can see diagrams to wire in parallel and to wire in series. I can see diagrams to wire both ways and change using a switch.

What I haven't seen so far is a diagram which shows a switching system that allows parallel, series and a choice of either speaker singly. Surprising since lots of players seem to run two different flavours of speaker in a 2x? cab and accessing them individually could be a useful tone change occasionally.

Anyone seen or know of a switching system that can handle this?

I have one cab I wanted wired this way ( a 2-12" with a pair of Celestion Alnico Blues) and the way I handled this situation was to simply wire the cab for stereo (that is each speaker to it's own 1/4" jack), I then simply made up two external speaker cables one wired in series and one wired in parallel (each with three 1/4" plugs). Now I simply switch between speaker cables to select either (using a standard cable for a single speaker) or both speakers and whether I want series or parallel wiring.

Tried to edit the above post but was told I can't edit even my own post, this is the corrected version;

I have one cab I wanted wired this way ( a 2-12" with a pair of Celestion Alnico Blues) and the way I handled this situation was to simply wire the cab for stereo (that is each speaker to it's own 1/4" jack), I then simply made up two external speaker cables one wired in series and one wired in parallel (each with three 1/4" plugs). Now I simply switch between speaker cables to select either speaker (using a standard cable for a single speaker) or both speakers and whether I want series or parallel wiring. You can also skip making a parallel cable by simply using two straight cables and plugging them both into the amp since both main and secondary outs on most amps are already wired in parallel anyway. The reason I had to also make a parallel cable is because the amp I most often use with that cab is a THD Univalve which only has one speaker output jack.

You might want to try Ampeg SLM 4x12 wiring which uses a pair of stereo input jacks. You can plug in either of the two jacks and use all four speakers. If you plug in both jacks at once you end up using 2 for L and 2 for R. The same model of logic could be used for 2 speakers alone instead of 2 pairs and get close to what is needed. i have a diagram around here somewhere, but you may be able to look it up quicker

Archived