Heritage Owners Club

Fulltone Clyde v. Clyde Deluxe v. other options?

...since we have been talking about wahs lately.

In rehearsal on Th. we returned to "Tell Me Something Good," so, for the first time since last May, I stepped on my wah, an older Fulltone Clyde, and it was a very noisy mess. I didn't have a lot of time to work on it, but, I'm hoping I just need to clean/lube the pot and it will be ok. However, I did check the Fulltone website, and, apparently they no longer sell their proprietary potentiometer for wah, so, if you want a replacement you have to send the pedal.

With a gig for the Funk Band in a couple of weeks, I'm thinking about picking up a spare if I can't get mine functioning, since I don't have time to send it back for replacement. The new versions of both Clyde and Clyde deluxe have input matching buffers for high gain signals, and, the Clyde Deluxe has other bells and whistles.

Anyone have experience with post-buffer Clyde v. older version, or with newer Clyde v. Deluxe --or, other wahs to recommend? I doubt I'll be able to find anything locally to try out, so, if I order a new one I'll just have to do what research I can and take a shot in the dark. Thanks.

Anyone use the MXR CAE 404 Wah?

From digging around it seems to have a lot of fans, and I can get one for 142.00 shipped, much less than the Fulltone. Also seems a different animal than the Clyde --particularly shorter travel-- so, when I get the Fulltone fixed, I'd have a choice. But, I'd be very interested in any comments from users.

...no one seems to have any positive responses to my funk band vids. Tough crowd, I guess. Weird sound, I'll admit, since the mother was focusing on her daughter, and the mic was apparently pretty directional. I was at the far end of the stage, so, for better or worse, not much guitar in any of the vids. Oh well, working with the kids on this show was one of the best things I've ever done in music --doesn't have much to do with a vid or recording.

Larry, look for a used Budda Budwah. Solid pedal with a nice sweep that doesn't get too bright.

Nice job with the arrangement and turning the kids on to a great Stevie Wonder tune.

Personally I'm a Teese fan myself. The Picture Wah ended my search about 10 or 12 years ago.

Thanks guys. The more I read, the more disagreement I find about wahs. The funny thing is, I'm almost sure that when I bought the Fulltone it was because the pot went bad in a Thomas Organ wah I had before, and I got a new pot installed and that wah went in a box somewhere, cause I'd gotten use to the Clyde. But, that was probably 10+ years ago, and did that wah go in a trade at some point? Sad to say, but I really can't remember for sure. I've hunted for it, but so far no luck. So, I'll keep digging for a few more days, figuratively, to learn more about wahs, and literally, to see if I can find that old wah in the corner of a box somewhere. In the meantime, I had to order a can of Craig Deoxit, cause no-one locally carries it, and it's the only cleaner Fulltone recommends letting near the pots on his wahs. Maybe that and some use will bring my Clyde back to life after a summer of inaction. (Given that I only use the thing for two or three tunes, I don't really need two ... or three.)

Meanwhile, open to other wah recommendations. For me, this is about a clean wah rhythm sound. I've never been a big fan of the wah/overdrive solo, at least as played by much of anyone other than Hendrix. So, low noise would also be a big plus ... the Budda seems to be one of the few wahs that even makes a claim to low noise.

Archived