Heritage Owners Club

wingnut1

Thanks Guitartman.  Once I purchased the H157 I was hooked.  I got it and the H150 for a very good price from a local store that had them for about 18 months and couldn't sell them.  I purchased the H555 off eBay from an artist who bought it and a Gibson L-5 CES at the same time.  He could only afford to keep one, luckily for me he chose to keep the L-5.

I like the H157 better than my Gibson LP Std.  I would put the H150 a notch below the Gibson, but very close.  I've never had a Gibson ES guitar, but I would have a hard time believing they would be any better than the H555.  I really like the inlays, the ebony fretboard, the flame top, the binding,  the electronics, the fit and finish and the playability.  The guitar body is supposed to be a laminate, however, you can see flame on the inside through the f-hole that matches the outside.  This is either a real attention to detail or it's a solid piece of wood.

I was going to ask you to quantify "a notch below."  Fit?  Finish?  Appearance?  Tone?  Sustain?  With the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) variations between guitars even within a single manufacturers line, I find it hard to compare one guitar to another in terms of better or worse.  To me, the guitar is somewhere on a continuum between "I'll buy it" and "Kindling" but has to be judged on its own.  That being said, it is hard to avoid saying, "Well, this one is good and that one is good, but this one is better in this way."  But, once I start down that road, I don't get any practice time in because I'm too busy talking about guitars instead of playing them. 

Archived