Heritage Owners Club

Faber BSWKIT Install

Cryoman

So I installed the Faber BSWKIT 8mm to 4mm on my H-535 this past week in pursuit of still better tone....I also ordered but did NOT install the Faber ABR bridge. Here are a few observations. The full length (5/8" length) 8mm diameter screw into solid wood is simply a better "connection" to the guitar than the 1/4" press-in insert. Both Gibson and Heritage took a step in the wrong direction, IMHO, on this particular feature of the "Nashville" bridge. Why did Heritage follow Gibson in the Nashville design? Cost and ease of installation. Drill a shallow hole, press in a bushing, Voila! Cheap. Too bad Heritage didn't stick with a modern version of the ABR but with original posts sunk deep into the guitar...

The Faber screw-in posts perfectly fit the existing press in fitting holes. You must mask off the entire surrounding area of the guitar. I used a hand held (screwdriver type) driver to screw the new threaded posts straight into the guitar. An off-set ratchet is going to lead to trouble. The two supplied installation nuts must have a good "jam" fit slightly above the 4 to 8mm transition shoulder.

I started one off wrong (tilted from centered), and stupidly blew out a tiny chip of wood and finish on the edge of the hole trying to straighten with only 1 thread in....Don't do this.

After installation, I had to slightly "bend" (nudge is a better word) both posts to perfectly align with the existing Schaller bridge. This was trial and error. Tiny nudges or you'll fatigue or fail the thin section of the post.... I did this with a small adjustable wrench grabbing from the top down the entire length of 4mm thread portion. Worked out perfectly with no issues to the threads. The Schaller bridge lines up just perfectly. Note this is the 2nd gen bridge from Schaller, not those that came with earlier tunable stop pieces from earliest Heritages. So now I have a "Nashville" bridge on a ABR mount. The best of both worlds.

I find the German made Schaller every bit the equal to the German made Faber. So the Faber goes back...

Lastly, do I perceive a difference with the new mounting hardware? Without question the guitar is more resonant. Absolutely without a doubt! My wife said she could here a difference when I played it acoustically. Of course your mileage may vary.... For me it was a good $28 upgrade and I enjoyed discovering that the Schaller and Faber bridges are equals and both very well crafted.

Talks amongst yourselves....I'm getting Verklempt...

Cheers. Cryoman

PS how do I edit the typo in the thread title?

Archived