Heritage Owners Club

575-CC?

MichYank

Hi, M.Y., I'm the guy who put a Gibson ES-175CC on his 550, and it has that strident Kesselish tone. Is a little weaker than a lot of humbuckers in the bass department, but amps can usually compensate for that. I would not change the pots or capacitors. Had a tough time getting someone to put it on; Heritage refused, but put extra bracing where it goes in under the top.

The Gibson version weighs a pound. The closest repro is made by CC Pickups, in England. You can hear a sound comparison on the Net by typing in 'Lollar vs. CCPickup Charlie Christian pickup', or something close. The Lollar is deeper, and doesn't have as much character, but it can come with no screw holes having to be drilled through the top. The Seymour Duncan version might be okay, too. All three companies charge over $300 for it, so I'd go with the Brit. Good luck, Copycat, and thanks for making a great choice- HA!. We need more jazzers, and a 575 should be a great choice, as long as you go with the stock maple top. Putting a CC on a spruce top is definitely not for the faint of heart!- Charles Bevell, Bloomington, IN

Archived