Heritage Owners Club

Maybe I'm Paranoid

DrFrankStein

I am a nervous wreck when I take the 535 out for a show. It is my first real hollow body, and I am terrified that it is going to get crunched. I am pretty clumsy any way, so that just adds to my trepidation.

Am I just being paranoid?

Maybe not paranoid, just overprotective?

I had a G&L ASAT Junior, #15 of 250, so what they consider to be a 'rare bird.'  I had it for over a year and it was out of the case maybe three times.  It was semi-hollow mahogany, no f-hole.  The guitar was light as a feather, looked like a million dollars and sounded superb.  But, I was always afraid when I got it out that one of the kids would manage to punch a hole in it.  Or, it would fall over and the neck would rip out of the pocket.  Or, something equally as heinous.  I wound up selling it because it never got played and it seemed like a monumental waste of an instrument to me. 

I try to be of the "it's just a tool, it can be replaced" mindset and let the chips fall where they may.  But, I really, really have to fight the urge to be overprotective.  And that's not just limited to guitars.  Maybe it's a personality flaw of mine.

GuitArtMan is right--what's the point of having an instrument if it's not going to be played?

Just remember, after you get the first ding on it, then the others won't be as painful.

Archived