Heritage Owners Club

535 Question

duaneallen

Duaneallen:

I don't own a 150, and I'm yet to have a reason to pull the pickups on my 535, so I can't comment from observation.  However, we have had several threads that either focused on or mentioned the "long-tenon" issue.  If you start from the home page, and type in "long tenon" in the search field, you will get a number of hits. (Search from the home page searches all the forums; if you search from a specific forum page, the search only covers that forum.)

The consensus of the posts seems to be that Heritage does not use a long tenon on the 150, but that it does fit neck joints more tightly than does Gibson.  As for the 535/335's, I've always thought the long tenon was to add mass and glue surface when the depth of a solid body didn't allow much in a traditional dovetail.  By that logic, it should be of less concern on a semi-hollow, although the 535 is a little thinner than a 335. 

Not much help I'm afraid, but that's all I've got on this one...

I talked to Vince about this a month ago and he said all H-150CM's now come standard with a long tenon and from his description the 535 comes with a "transitional" tenon. A transitional tenon extends into the pickup cavity but not quite as far as a long tenon. The transitional tenon is still much preferred to a short tenon.

I have a 535 and a 150. The 535 from 2 years back has a transitional tenon into the neck pu cavity but not thru. The neck is stable and the guitar is as toneful as any great 335 from any Gibson era. It's VERY tight. I have a/b'd this against several vintage 335's and it can certainly hang with them, much closer in AUTHENTIC vintage tone than any of the G Historic stuff. IMO[As long as you get some great clone PAF's}

The 150 from last year does NOT have a longer tenon, you can not see it enter into the neck pickup cavity.  I have played and owned several Gibby vintage examples and this 150 is just as good and resonates like crazy, big and booming in tone.

Heritage makes a Great tight neck fit, so long tenon is not everything, it's the wood.

If your interested in Heritage than don't let the tenon thing stop you, get out and find a GREAT one

Good Luck

plexi

I have a 535 and a 150. The 535 from 2 years back has a transitional tenon into the neck pu cavity but not thru. The neck is stable and the guitar is as toneful as any great 335 from any Gibson era. It's VERY tight. I have a/b'd this against several vintage 335's and it can certainly hang with them, much closer in AUTHENTIC vintage tone than any of the G Historic stuff. IMO[As long as you get some great clone PAF's}

The 150 from last year does NOT have a longer tenon, you can not see it enter into the neck pickup cavity.  I have played and owned several Gibby vintage examples and this 150 is just as good and resonates like crazy, big and booming in tone.

Heritage makes a Great tight neck fit, so long tenon is not everything, it's the wood.

If your interested in Heritage than don't let the tenon thing stop you, get out and find a GREAT one

Good Luck

plexi

+1 Plexi and Karma up for an informative, realistic, and honest post!

Once the bass, singer, and drums kick in, what does it matter anyway? I believe all my solid-bodied guitars have short tenons, and I think they sound great!

So true.... I have Gibsons Both ways and i think my Norlins outshine my historics, I just love maple necks and low frets...

Archived