Heritage Owners Club

H-170 Volume Knobs/Pots Question

EricGR

From the pictures it looks like you have SD P-Rails with the volume pots for each pickup having a push-pull arrangement, though I can't tell from the picture if it's for coil splitting or series/parallel wiring. A good way of getting the most out of a set of P-Rails is to use the Triple Shot mounting rings. I used them in my H150 Special, and they give you the following options from the two little switches on the ring - humbucker (coils in series). P90 coil, Rail coil. humbucker (coils in parallel). Something to be aware of is that you might have to shorten the pickup lead quite a lot to get it to fit in the pickup cavity. If you use the Triple Shots you can use a regular volume pot.

I found I was using the P90 setting most of the time so I eventually replaced the P-Rails with a set of Phat Cats. I still have the P-Rails, all I need is another guitar to put them in... 😁. Here's a pic of the H150 Special with the P-Rails and Triple Shots.

SAM_1538 (1024x768).jpg

Edited by bobmeyrick

Thanks so much for the info! Yes I forgot to mention that they are P Rails. 

I am bringing mine in here on Tuesday and going to see if I can’t get triple shots in.  I love the tones I get but interested to see what I’ve been missing. 

so for the tone knob pot I can just use the standard then correct? 

I can’t find matching knobs so guess I’m gonna just need to replace all those. 

thanks again!

13 hours ago, bobmeyrick said:

From the pictures it looks like you have SD P-Rails with the volume pots for each pickup having a push-pull arrangement, though I can't tell from the picture if it's for coil splitting or series/parallel wiring. A good way of getting the most out of a set of P-Rails is to use the Triple Shot mounting rings. I used them in my H150 Special, and they give you the following options from the two little switches on the ring - humbucker (coils in series). P90 coil, Rail coil. humbucker (coils in parallel). Something to be aware of is that you might have to shorten the pickup lead quite a lot to get it to fit in the pickup cavity. If you use the Triple Shots you can use a regular volume pot.

I found I was using the P90 setting most of the time so I eventually replaced the P-Rails with a set of Phat Cats. I still have the P-Rails, all I need is another guitar to put them in... 😁. Here's a pic of the H150 Special with the P-Rails and Triple Shots.

SAM_1538 (1024x768).jpg

Beautiful guitar by the way!

13 hours ago, EricGR said:

Thanks so much for the info! Yes I forgot to mention that they are P Rails. 

I am bringing mine in here on Tuesday and going to see if I can’t get triple shots in.  I love the tones I get but interested to see what I’ve been missing. 

so for the tone knob pot I can just use the standard then correct? 

I can’t find matching knobs so guess I’m gonna just need to replace all those. 

thanks again!

I found this video which shows how to install the P-Rails with the Triple Shots - 

As I said, you can use regular volume pots with the Triple Shots, but if you had a push-pull pot you could wire it for the Peter Green out-of-phase sound. Even more options!