Heritage Owners Club

H137 Wiring- Converting to Gibson configuration

StrangeC

I have an H137 with Lollar P90s.  Heritage wires it in such a way that when in the middle position, one volume controls both pickups.  Well I wanted to change it so each volume controlled one pick up only in the middle position.  Called Ren Wall and he talked me through a simple wire change.  Problem was after that change, with the switch set to the bridge pickup; neck volume, neck tone, and bridge tone full on at 10, and the bridge volume rolled off all the way to 0, there is still sound coming from the guitar!  Neither my guitar tech nor myself could figure out the issue so it was sent to Ren to fix.  He replaced all the exectronics and wired it up as I requested.  Guess what?!  Same problem!  Now I can't reach Ren or anyone at Heritage.  Anyone have any idea on what the issue coule be?

Welcome to the club!

one volume controls both pickups.
Which one? Or do both do it?

On all my guitars, when the selector switch is set to the middle position, just as long as one volume control is set to 10, then the other one is used to adjust the overall volume. What it sounds like you want, is individual volume control for each pickup when set to the middle position (both pickups "on.")

I don't know if this is possible; maybe someone else can chime in here and let us know.

Welcome to The Club, StrangeC!

If you're looking for two pickups, two volume, two tone, one three way and for each volume to work independently in the center position, you can try this diagram.  It shows buckers, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for P90s.

Do you have a diagram of how you have it wired now? 

It should be simple- its done on Les Pauls every day.  Not sure why there should be an issue doing it with Lollar P90s.  There must be some issue though since both my guitar tech and Ren Wall at Heritage seem to be runing into the same issue.

I can't think of a way that the P90s could be wired that would cause bleed that wouldn't also make them either extremely anemic or completely shorted.  I'd double check the wiring, and if if that checks out, I would wonder about the integrity of the pots or switch.  StrangeC is right, it's fairly simple electronics and shouldn't be a problem to do properly. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, if the wiring checks out, the next step I would take is to swap the pickups out...easier to do that than swap out pots, and you said the pots were all replaced by Ren anyway.  The common element seems to be the pups and the switch (unless Ren replaced the switch, too?). 

You can reach Ren at:

fretfiler@kalamazoo.net

He just sent me an e-mail, so he's still breathing, I think?

Jay Wolfe

Thanks Jay-  This is a Wolfe Guitar.  Ren replied and said he would take another look at it in a week so I'll be sending it back to him then. 

Its strange that my tech and Ren both tried to do this simple wiring configuration and came up with the same result/problem.

Has anyone actually converted a H137 w P90s from the Heritage volume configuration to the Gibson style configuration?

Archived