Heritage Owners Club

H-575 vs Anything Else

doctrane

Well it's come to that time in my development, or GAS, or need to

from what can determine, to aquire an archtop that is indeed a fine instrument

I'm looking into the H-575. I am entertaining the purchase of a Hollow-Body or perhaps Semi

Been thinkin (researching) Gibson ES-175, Ibanez PM 120, PRS-semi's ($$), Guild X-170 Manhattan

but have been of late redirected to these instruments

I welcome any comments concerning this instrument (H-575), perhaps the need to or not to customize certain

elements, your view on playablity, sound, quality, making music, with these instruments or perhaps any other

(es 175, L4,5, etc.)

Looking to continue to educate myself?

Comments?

PS - jazz makes me cry

oh and of course

Trane Lives / didn't expect that right? or is it obvious?

(yes i know - Armstrong, Bird, Evans, Wes!!, etc. etc.) - Live too

Appreciatively

Dave

In my humble opinion, there is no contest between the Gibson 175 and the Heritage H575, as on the Heritage you will get a solid carved top, where as the Gibson will be laminate. However, the downside of these guitars are that they are hollow body and prone to feedback, so it depends of course in what context you plan to use it. I myself prefer a semi solid, getting all the tone I want from my 555. That said, the tone from the 575 is wonderful and the 575's I have played are really excellent instruments.

The Yamaha SA2200 is incredible value for money, a superb guitar, comparable to Gibson and Heritage, ebony neck with parallel inlays, nice sounding pick ups. But based on all the guitars you mention, if it's a hollow body you are after, then the 575 stands out by a mile for me personally.

n733943211_143373_9182.jpg

In my humble opinion, there is no contest between the Gibson 175 and the Heritage H575, as on the Heritage you will get a solid carved top, where as the Gibson will be laminate. However, the downside of these guitars are that they are hollow body and prone to feedback, so it depends of course in what context you plan to use it. I myself prefer a semi solid, getting all the tone I want from my 555. That said, the tone from the 575 is wonderful and the 575's I have played are really excellent instruments.

The Yamaha SA2200 is incredible value for money, a superb guitar, comparable to Gibson and Heritage, ebony neck with parallel inlays, nice sounding pick ups. But based on all the guitars you mention, if it's a hollow body you are after, then the 575 stands out by a mile for me personally.

n733943211_143373_9182.jpg

TY

I've got a 1990 575 that I use as a travel archtop. I also prefer the 575 to the ES-175. I generally prefer carved instruments, but the new ES-175 laminates sound particularly dead to me. A vintage 175 is a different story, but 1) they cost $4K now, and 2) were made by the Heritage guys to begin with.

Feedback is a problem with all archtops, but is fairly controllable in a jazz setting. Basically, bring your volume up to 7 instead of 10 and stand off sides of the amp. If that doesn't work, there's a cheap product called Dougs Plugs that are styrofoam inserts you can easily install and remove from the guitar within 30 seconds.

I modified my 575 with Jason Lollar P-90s, but that was because I wanted a full size archtop with P-90s. I have the stock Schallers in my Heritage Super Eagle (my favorite guitar), and they're fine. However, if you're ordering new you can customize the pickups with any Seymour Duncan model like the Seth Lovers. The pots, tuners, tailpeice, and bridge are all fine.

Before you make any decisions, I'd read the attached link. http://www.jhalemusic.com/pages/archTopFAQs.html There are different size archtops with different scale lengths. If you're usually a Fender man, you'll probably find a larger 17" bout guitar more comfortable since they have the 25.5" scale lenght you're used to. The 575, 175, and just about any other 16" guitar will have the Les Paul 24.75" scale.

Finally, do not buy an archtop from a big box store staffed with pimply metal heads. These are pricey instruments and you'll want to work with someone who has a clue. I know there is a certain level of anxiety in buying a guitar without trying it out first, but reputable dealers like Jeff Hale or Jay Wolfe will be invaluable in walking you through things and all have reasonable return policies.

I've got a 1990 575 that I use as a travel archtop. I also prefer the 575 to the ES-175. I generally prefer carved instruments, but the new ES-175 laminates sound particularly dead to me. A vintage 175 is a different story, but 1) they cost $4K now, and 2) were made by the Heritage guys to begin with.

Feedback is a problem with all archtops, but is fairly controllable in a jazz setting. Basically, bring your volume up to 7 instead of 10 and stand off sides of the amp. If that doesn't work, there's a cheap product called Dougs Plugs that are styrofoam inserts you can easily install and remove from the guitar within 30 seconds.

I modified my 575 with Jason Lollar P-90s, but that was because I wanted a full size archtop with P-90s. I have the stock Schallers in my Heritage Super Eagle (my favorite guitar), and they're fine. However, if you're ordering new you can customize the pickups with any Seymour Duncan model like the Seth Lovers. The pots, tuners, tailpeice, and bridge are all fine.

Before you make any decisions, I'd read the attached link. http://www.jhalemusic.com/pages/archTopFAQs.html There are different size archtops with different scale lengths. If you're usually a Fender man, you'll probably find a larger 17" bout guitar more comfortable since they have the 25.5" scale lenght you're used to. The 575, 175, and just about any other 16" guitar will have the Les Paul 24.75" scale.

Finally, do not buy an archtop from a big box store staffed with pimply metal heads. These are pricey instruments and you'll want to work with someone who has a clue. I know there is a certain level of anxiety in buying a guitar without trying it out first, but reputable dealers like Jeff Hale or Jay Wolfe will be invaluable in walking you through things and all have reasonable return policies.

Used play fender

Play LesPaul

I'm adaptable that way

You information was helpful and appreciated.

I'm over here in NY. We have a big Guitar store, so I hear, called Mandolin Bros. fairly close to home

Perhaps I'll start there, seek out some others, and perhaps just sit down with some of these instuments to

get comfortable with some of the differences they present.

Then I'll call Hale and/or Wolf - and direct some of my questions

TY Again

Archived