Heritage Owners Club

H137 vs Collings 290 vs LP Special

pcovers

I've owned a VOS LP Special DC Reissue and was impressed. I have never played a 290 but I am familiar with the body cuts and overall design details. I have also never played a modern build H137. I am a big P90 guy and have owned Lollar P90s so i am also familiar with them. I know Collings fit and finish is impeccable. But, I have to say my only Heritage, a recent purchase of a new H150 with Lollar mini HBs is also great fit and finish, perfect frets, no drips or hazing, etc.

What I would love to find is someone that has had real world experience playing all three, or at least the H137 and the Collings 290.

I played a couple of the Colling 290s they had up at Bufallo Brothers a while back - I honestly didn't care for them. The set up was nothing special and the neck shape didn't grab me at all. I'd take my H-137 (second one made) any day of the week.

Owning 2 Collings Acoustics (yes I bought them back in '93 & '95 before they were so expensive), Collings builds the best acoustics on the planet, NO Contest, No debate, Sorry Taylors not even close.

When they entered the electric line they were know for their very high quality, perfect fit & finish, and VERY expensive.

Since their electrics have been out a while now, they are more like the Hamer/PRS reputation (beautiful, highly playable, but missing that "it" tone).

About year ago I travel 3 hours to possibly but a Collings LP style guitar. I found exactly what I described. No pixie dust, No vintage MoJo, NO BIG 3-D Heritage Vintage Tone.

Especially for the 290, because Heritage does their p-90 guitars so well, the Heritage would be a no brainer for me...

Collings does indeed make one of the best acoustics on the planet! Their electrics are top notch as well, but not heads and shoulders above other well made American electrics. I find the 290 the most 'turned over " guitar in the Collings line-up and it appears to have the worst re-sale value of any of the Collings electrics from what I've observed. The 137 I have is the best sounding LP Special style-guitar I've owned (and that would be about 12) and I believe it is due to a combination of good wood (mine weighs 7 lbs 6 oz), a substantial neck and Lollar DOGEAR P90's.

post-1046-1253762733_thumb.jpg

Collings does indeed make one of the best acoustics on the planet! Their electrics are top notch as well, but not heads and shoulders above other well made American electrics. I find the 290 the most 'turned over " guitar in the Collings line-up and it appears to have the worst re-sale value of any of the Collings electrics from what I've observed. The 137 I have is the best sounding LP Special style-guitar I've owned (and that would be about 12) and I believe it is due to a combination of good wood (mine weighs 7 lbs 6 oz), a substantial neck and Lollar DOGEAR P90's.

Sounds like the Heritage recipe of TONE. Having 3 of Heritages p-90 guitars, I couldn't agree more!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

the LP DC is maybe my all-time favorite body style. i had a '77 that was exceptional-sounding. some neck stability/intonation issues, tho.

saw & heard a Collings at a local store. was not induced to try it myself.

wandered into CB Perkins when they got a couple H-137s. both sounded great. i got one, which they later told me they thought was (something like) "the perfect electric solid-body guitar". and this from a family of luthiers (been in biz hereabouts since 1923).

yowzah

i told them if they ever come across an H-170 that comes close to it in sound & cetera, i'll take it, regardless of finish

:eek:

Archived