Heritage Owners Club

My Bassman is giving me fits

smurph1

Need some input on this..I have a '67 Blackface Bassman with a 2x12 cab..It keeps cutting out on me..I've had tubes replaced by the guy I bought it from, he's gone through it and swears it's solid..but I know it's not..Had to borrow a friends amp to do our gig last Friday..Is an amp that is that old worth pouring money into?

Just a thought. Have you checked your cabinet, speakers and cables connecting them?

Cable is brand new, but I hadn't thought to check the speaker connections..That's a good starting point..Thanks..I will do that..

Make sure the ouput speaker jack is tight on the head and the input is tight on the speaker cabinet. Home Depot sells CRC electronic contact cleaner. It will say QD;"quick dry, leaves no residue". Try spraying the jacks also. Never plug into the extension speaker jack without have a speaker plugged into the regular speaker out jack. This can cause arching to your output transformer. As for putting money into an old Fender....if it's been serviced and tuned up correctly, it will be as dependable as any "boutique" amp out there.

Make sure the ouput speaker jack is tight on the head and the input is tight on the speaker cabinet. Home Depot sells CRC electronic contact cleaner. It will say QD;"quick dry, leaves no residue". Try spraying the jacks also. Never plug into the extension speaker jack without have a speaker plugged into the regular speaker out jack. This can cause arching to your output transformer. As for putting money into an old Fender....if it's been serviced and tuned up correctly, it will be as dependable as any "boutique" amp out there.

Thanks for that..I really love the tone it produces when its working right, just been frustrated that it hasn't been..i was afraid it it would quit on me on stage..

At a certain point, the electrolytic capacitors will break down and the amp won't function properly. It sounds like you might need a cap job on the amp. I would take it to a qualified tech to have it serviced.

thanks..that's exactly what I am going to do next week..

Archived