Heritage Owners Club

Dumb question of the day

pegleg32

Have been following some of the discussion on other topics and seen references to the definition of hollow body vs semi hollow body. I guess I had always thought that the difference between the two was not the literal "hollowness" of the body. I had always interpreted it to mean full bodied vs slim bodied. The guitar in question would be the H530 which is slim bodied, but truly hollow. Anybody care to weigh in on this?

Pegs, that is the dumbest question of the day. No wait!! There are no dumb questions. Sorry.

I do believe hollowbodies are as hollow as acoustic guitars. The first modern electric guitars are/were based on the Spanish guitar. Basically adding a pickup to the guitar design. The semi-hollows usually have a center block added to reduce feedback - hence the semi hollow. Otherwise, they would be hollowbody guitars, as well. Don't think guitar thickness has as much to do (if any) with the classification.

... I guess I had always thought that the difference between the two was not the literal "hollowness" of the body. I had always interpreted it to mean full bodied vs slim bodied. ...

i take it you mean rim dimension? (thickness)

e.g. FredZepp's Centurion is 4" :) but its internal construction (at least its being fully hollow) would be unchanged in the "thin" (-T) version, which, sadly, does not exist. yet.

good example maybe: an H-550 at Wolfe's vs. a standard H-550, which is a hollowbody. i'm pretty sure the Thin is, too...

Archived