Heritage Owners Club

Newbie Here

slider313

Just saying hi and proud to be a member of this group. I've had my H140CM since '88. I custom ordered it in late '87 with the followind appointments: Pearl block inlay and headstock logo, single ply bound neck and headstock and I asked for a real nice flamed top to compliment the guitar. There was no upcharge for the top. I've had many a guitar come and go since, but this is and always will be my baby.

speakers 282 (2).jpg

speakers 282 (2).jpg_thumb

Looks killer!

How is it holding up after almost 20 years? Has it needed any major repairs?

I have had no repairs to this guitar. I did swap out the pickups for Duncan '59's, which I had in for most of it life. I recently installed a Nashville tune-a-matic and stop tail and a set of Peter Florance voodoo '59's. It has the original frets, pots and grover tuners and all it ever needed was neck adjustments; which I do when the weather changes.

Hey hey hey!

I also swapped the SD'59's for Voodoo'59's

I'm still torn apart.....

It seems to me that the overall sound is more balanced but the output is slightly less.

The neck-PU is very dynamic....a bit too much for me.

When I play clean I really need a good compressor.

I'm still not sure whether I keep them or not.

Vinni

Vinni,

I like the Voodoo '59's, but I'm also torn because I am so used to the Duncan pickups. I find the difference is the Duncans are tighter, clearer and have more note seperation; and are waxed potted. The Voodoo p/u's have more of that PAF character; the notes on chords bleed into each other more and have an "open" sound. I find if I tap on the Voodoo p/u's, they are slightly microphonic. I think that's what's part of their PAF tone; no potting.

I'm going to leave them in for a while and work with them. I can always go back to the Duncans.

Mike

The difference is less mahogany. The maple top is the same grade thickness. This is the best LP type guitar I have ever played. The sound is a bit brighter, but not by much. The weight is fantastic and it is extremely comfortable to play. In the "G" world you would have to look back to the Les Paul light guitars from the early 80's. Construction wise these are just thinner LP Standards, at least mine is. Remember, the standard model had dot inlay, a decal logo, no neck or headstock binding; but construction wise it has a one piece mahogany neck, body and two piece maple top. A LP Standard but as thick as maybe a Tele.

Archived