Heritage Owners Club

Differences CM150 with SD'59's <> Antiquities

Vinni

Hi,

I've got a CM150 classic. It had SD'59's stock.

What are the differences when I install the Antiuities?

I've seen CM150's with Antiquities.

So I hope someone with experience with these two PU's can chime in....

Thanks

Vinni

Antiquities:

Alnico II magnets, slightly de-magnatized

Wound by hand (scatter wound)

Un-balanced coisl (I believe, but I may be wrong)

Not potted

Sound like a '40-50 year old pickup.

Sweet, warm, clear, articulate.

'59s

Alnico V magnet

Machine wound

Balanced coils (I believe)

Potted

Punchy and raw, and a little brighter than the Antiquities.

Balan

GuitArtMan has it in a nutshell. I have both of these pickups and the 59's are more powerful and articulate sounding. The antiquities have a very sweet tone with less punch so you'll need to turn them up a bit more. Very old and vintage sound. I think the 59's are suppose to sound like PAF's did when they were new, and the antiquities are suppose to sound as they would after 40 - 50 years of use.

I haven't heard the Antiquities, but I've swapped out my '59s for HRWs--I like them much better! To me, the '59s sounded kind of muddy, whereas with the HRWs, every note seems to ring through.

Hey, Bob, how do you think the HRWs compare to the Antiquities?

Dick,

A few years back I had in possesion:

535 with Seth Lovers

535 wih HRWs

CS-336 (G word) with '57 classics.

The Seths were far an away my favorite in the semi-hollow.  The just sounded the way I wanted them to sound.  All positions sounded great and were usable.  Next came the HRWs. They're a little higher output than the seths, and for lack of better word a little HiFi sounding.  Settings that sounded sweet and clear with the seths, were getting overdriven by the HRWs (I've had others say the same).  Just not for me.  The '57 traggics, erh classics were my least favorite.  Muddy neck pickup, lack luster middle toggle, harsh, bright, thin treble pickup.  Yuch!

Dick I really didn't compare the HRWs and Antiquiteis in my current 535s as I knew the HRWs were going to go.  FWIW, is semi-hollow bodies I prefer seth lovers, in solid bodies I prefer Antiquities.

Archived