Heritage Owners Club

Thoughts on the Fender Super Champ xd?

zookroo1

I was looking for a small. easily portable amp that I can play at lower volumes in the house when I need to be quieter... But also something has some possibility of playing out in a small way if needed. More of just a mess around amp that sounds good and gets some nice tones. I've heard one in person and thought it was a pretty nice little package. It also seems to get high marks from people talking about it online. Seems that a speaker upgrade can help it become even better. So anybody here have one or have any extended experience with it? If you aren't a fan, do you have any other recommendations in the $200-$300 range (new or used). It seems like a pretty good little tube amp for a low price, so let me know what you think. Thanks!

Brian

I was looking for a small. easily portable amp that I can play at lower volumes in the house when I need to be quieter... But also something has some possibility of playing out in a small way if needed. More of just a mess around amp that sounds good and gets some nice tones. I've heard one in person and thought it was a pretty nice little package. It also seems to get high marks from people talking about it online. Seems that a speaker upgrade can help it become even better. So anybody here have one or have any extended experience with it? If you aren't a fan, do you have any other recommendations in the $200-$300 range (new or used). It seems like a pretty good little tube amp for a low price, so let me know what you think. Thanks!

Brian

Brian, I had one of those for a while. Got it at GC just so I could take it back if I didn't like it. It would probably be okay for what you've mentioned - playing at home. Not too sure what it would do taking it out - didn't keep mine long enough to find out. Altho' 15w is plenty loud for small venues. For me, I just couldn't find a sound that I liked. But then, I've got a custom built 5E3 that I don't like, either. :) That XD does have a lot of different built-in tonal possibilities, tho'. And the onboard FX are good. Might have been the single 8" speaker that I didn't like. Then again, maybe I'm just an amp snob ... not sure. :) The one I did like (in the store) was the Deluxe VM. Altho' that is considerably more $$'s than the Champ XD.

Brian

Brian,

I just went out on a limb and bought a Peavey JSX Mini Colassal from MF for $299 on closeout. I haven't got it yet, and could not find one anywhere to play, but I thought I would take a chance at that price. It weighs about 20 pounds and has an attenuator (they call it the power sponge) to keep the volume down while pushing the class A tubes. Sounded like what I am looking for. Not sure if it would fit into what you want, but check out the clearance tab at MF, they seem to have some new deals going on. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Super Champ XD used at GC last summer. I got it so I could bring it to my drummer buddy's house to jam and not have to lug around a bunch of pedals, and it fits that need perfectly for me. He plays loud, so I have to crank the amp volume up high. I hear with a speaker upgrade it can be louder. I guess the Eminence Ragin Cajun is a popular replacement. The problem with a 10" speaker is there aren't as many choices as a 12".

I live in an apartment now, and it is too loud for the apartment though. Pretty versatile, although I really only use the blackface and Marshall models. The effects are nice, but you can only adjust the mix, not any other parameters. I'm happy with it and glad I got it, even though it's made in China. I've been trying to only "Buy American," but the deal was too good.

Archived