Heritage Owners Club

Attenuator for Christmas

MacDoggie

Well, not the happy ending yet. I just sent the Mass back to Weber. It quit "attenuating" (?) and was not lowering volume as of Thursday. I do have to say they are very good at responding to my emails the next business day and recognized the device had issues. I'll see how long it takes to get the replacement.

Nothing worse than a broken toy during Christmas!!!

AAAAAAUUUUUURRRRRRGH! :smile_mini2:

• 3 weeks later...

Received the repaired attenuator a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to update the thread. When the FedEx guy dropped it off, I gave it a night to come up to room temp before trying it. Not sure where things went south before, but I wasnt' taking any chances. The next day, I hooked it up and started with some smaller volume testing and whallah! The volume was managed quite nicely through the rheostat on the Mass! I continued the effort dialing in the tubes where I wanted and although at low volumes it isn as articulate as going when you're not going attenuator, it was workable for bedroom levels.

I have recently heard some buzz for low E string moments only through the attenuator, but still checking where switches may correct or cause this issue. I just haven't had much time to play with it since the holiday.

My wife is happy that I'm no longer interuptin her television viewing.

I have to say Weber was decent to work with on the issue. I'd naturally have prefered to have they guy work with me on the phone, but I understand that isn't possible these days. He was prompt with responding to email so that is a plus in this day and age.

Received the repaired attenuator a couple of weeks ago and haven't had a chance to update the thread. When the FedEx guy dropped it off, I gave it a night to come up to room temp before trying it. Not sure where things went south before, but I wasnt' taking any chances. The next day, I hooked it up and started with some smaller volume testing and whallah! The volume was managed quite nicely through the rheostat on the Mass! I continued the effort dialing in the tubes where I wanted and although at low volumes it isn as articulate as going when you're not going attenuator, it was workable for bedroom levels.

I have recently heard some buzz for low E string moments only through the attenuator, but still checking where switches may correct or cause this issue. I just haven't had much time to play with it since the holiday.

My wife is happy that I'm no longer interuptin her television viewing.

I have to say Weber was decent to work with on the issue. I'd naturally have prefered to have they guy work with me on the phone, but I understand that isn't possible these days. He was prompt with responding to email so that is a plus in this day and age.

Hi, Please let us know how you like it at gig volumes with regard for tone improvements or degradation! I sure do like what mine does! Guess i owe you a Chimay too!

Hi, Please let us know how you like it at gig volumes with regard for tone improvements or degradation! I sure do like what mine does! Guess i owe you a Chimay too!

Will keep you posted. Usually when playing with others ( don't really gig any more) I just take my amp. Since its only 25 watts, its pretty well behaved at the volumes we typically play at. But I may pack it along for some experimentation! Thanks and take care...Mac

Let us know how you get on with it and whether it lives up to your expectations.

I've never had a chance to try an expensive attenuator, but I've used some cheaper l-pad based ones that seemed to work o.k. (at least to my ears). Like you my intention was to be able to get more tone out of my amp while using "at home" volumes. This is probably going to make me look stupid, but overall I just decided that I could just as easily dial up the tones I wanted to hear playing through my POD at these lower volumes and I really couldn't tell the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

IT'S BAAAACK!!!! Finally, it arrived yesterday and early assessment says they got it right this time! YEAH! I can't say the company impressed me, since I had to return the item twice at my expense for them to fix things, but I will say they gave me good service.

I unpacked it and let it warm at room temperature last night before I plugged it in, probably wasn't necessary but I've had too many problems with it to not take every precaution. Then I had to let the tubes warm up, so by now I'm getting anxious. started out with some easy clean tones, not too loud, and the tone was quite nice. Turned the volume on the clean channel up a little, started to push it, and reduced the volume on the attenuator, and at volumes you can play in the house (note: not an apartment) the tube tone was great. Very happy. Then I switched to the red channel for some dirt, same kind of test, and they only thing you miss is the speakers overdrive inflections. But this is to be expected if you don't want to disturb the wife and neighbors. The tube grind is definitely there and then some!

Its been a long wait (almost 2 months) so I hope this is the end of things and I'll just be able to use it when I don't want to rattle the windows. But as we all know, every once in a while you have to get loud!

Archived