Heritage Owners Club

H137 Questions

Ches

I'm thinking about picking up a used H137 (2005, from what the seller says), but I've got a few questions. 

1. The guitars shown on the Wolfe website mention "2nd Edition" H137's.  What are the differences between the 1st and 2nd Editions, and when did the change take place?

2. I've read that you can't adjust the height of the pickups, and that the bridge pickup height causes you to set the action higher than a Les Paul.  Is this true?  Can anything be done to correct this?

3. I've heard weights are all over the map on these - from 8 lbs to over 10 lbs.  Do you guys have a feel for the weight range these fall into?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

I could be wrong (I frequently am), but...

1)  The original run of 137s was back in the 90s, had humbuckers and were called H-137D (D for double humbucker).  They had Schaller bridges and Grover tuners...at least mine does and the only other one I've seen (went on eBay last fall) did too.  The 2nd Editions were built to Jay Wolfe's specs and at his urging.  All of the 2nd Editions I've seen have P90s, which I believe are Lollars.  they also have tuna-melt, errr, Tune-o-matic bridges.  Not sure about the tuning machines.

2)  My only P90 equipped guitar is a slabtop Hamer Special.  The SD P90s have a bit of foam behind them, so there is a small amount of height adjustment, but none really to speak of.  I don't know if that's the same on the Heritage 137s.  The bridge and tailpiece are adjustable for height, though.

3)  Again, I've never held a 2nd Edition, so I can't speak to those.  I can tell you that my original run 137D weighs in somewhere around 9-9.5 pounds.  In general, Heritage guitars are not known to be "lightweight" so I would imagine the 137s could very well be within the 8-10 pound range.

Thanks for the reply!  It's nice to run into a familiar name as a noob on this board.

Your answer certainly clarifies why I couldn't find anything on the 1st Edition!  I guess my only concern at this point is the bridge height adjustment and how it effects setting the action.  I should be able to determine if that's an issue once I see the guitar in person. 

Thanks again -

Brian

Ches!  I knew I recognized the name, but couldn't place it...sheesh, I'm getting old! 

When I bought my 137D (used), I asked Ren about production numbers.  He said, "very few, they are rare."  I don't know about the 2nd Editions, but they did come at a time when the market was going ga-ga over old Gibby Juniors and Specials, so I suspect they sold better than the original run, for that reason alone.  I would really like to see Jay push Heritage to make a 3rd Edition with slab top, single dogear Lollar P90, single volume, tone "switch" instead of a knob (think early Esquire...yeah, I know that's a Fender thing) and a wrap tail.  8)

1.  I have the second H-137 Second Edition made.  I purchased it new at Christmas time 2005, so that gives you an idea how long the second edition has been around.

2.  No you can not adjust the height of the pickups.  Yes you will have to set the action a tad higher so that you aren't hitting the bridge pickup.  I asked Jason Lollar if I could swap the dog ear P90 for a soap bar style and frankly didn't get a straight answer.  I think it has to do with the route for the dog ear and a soap bar may or may not fit so I'm not sure.  IMHO, they should swithc to soap bars for this reason but the dog ear is period correct.

3.  I haven't weighed mine, but it's on the light end for a Les Paul.  I would guess between 8 and 8.5 lbs.  Jay mentioned mine was a good half pound lighter than the other two he had for sale at the time.  Just like Les Pauls, the weight can very.

Yes you will have to set the action a tad higher so that you aren't hitting the bridge pickup.

Thanks for the info.  That's going to be a deal breaker for me.  I suppose I could issue a PSA and let you guys know where to find one at a good price.  Check the Detroit craigslist on February 9.  The seller is letting it go for $800.  (I have no affiliation with the seller.)

Thanks again for the quick responses!

Brian

My H-137 (2nd ed) has the dual Lollar P-90s and although they are not adjustable, my guitar has a very low, nice playing action.  I have not had to keep the action higher than any other guitar as a result of the pickup heights.  The weight on my Korina model is about 6 and 1/2 pounds and has roughly a "59 Gibson" neck. It is the lightest of all my electric guitars. I guess that the Mahogany editions weight considerably more but this is only speculation... I love my H-137 and keeps coming back to me as my "favorite."  I believe GuitArtMan is correct in that the route for the P90 dog-ears will not work for the soapbar, but again, I haven't had the experience of mounting one for the other...certainly the dog-ears mounting screw holes would be visible if going to the soapbars... The ToneDog wrap around tailpiece is nice hardware. Works very well. Intonation is perfect.

Cheers, Cryoman

Archived