Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 576 wiring

pdtriplett

I have a used 576 that has some electrical noise.  Some work had been done prior to my having the guitar.  I occasionally get static and noise when moving or taking may hands off the strings.  On most guitars, the bridge is grounded.  Does anyone know if the 576 was grounded to the bridge?  I've used an ohm meter and confirmed that the pickups and jack are grounded.  It is the bridge that is not.

In my humble opinion, the bridge and so the strings and indeed anything metal should be grounded. You don't want to be touching anything metal that isn't.

In practical terms though. Get a longish piece of wire, wrap or attach one end of it to the metal outer casing of your guitar lead (plugged into the guitar) . Attach the other to the machine heads or strings and see if the hum goes away.

If it doesn't then your problem may lie elsewhere.

I ought to add though that I don't own a 576 so someone else may know different.

Welcome to the Club, pdtriplett!  Expect the Etiquette Chief to be along shortly asking for pictures of that 576 (I know I'd like to see it!).  I can't answer your question about whether the 576 came with the bridge grounded, but I'm reasonably certain it should be. 

I've read discussions with experts (actual electricians and electrical engineers) on both sides of the issue...keeping the bridge grounded introduces the potential for serious shock, not having it grounded does the same.  I'm not sure any of my guitars have an ungrounded bridge, though.

Archived