Heritage Owners Club

Speaker to me?

A guy I know is tempting me with an offer to sell me a replacement speaker for my little Peavey. I've mainly been playing it through my Avatar cab and it sounds sooo much better than through the stock speaker that it has.

The two speakers he has are:

- a Celestion G12L

- a Eminence Red, white and blues...

Anyone got any experience with either of these? Are they any good? Which you choose? Would you recommend any other "cheap" options.

First of all, what's in the Peavey now and what are you using in the Avatar?

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!

The Peavey's got whatever stock speaker came with it. There are no obvious markings on it.

The Avatar x2 has a Clestion Vintage 30 and a Classic Lead

Something to think about.....is the speaker in the Peavey 8 or 16 ohms? Is the cabinet with the Celestions 8 or 16 ohms? Two speakers always sound better than one. If you like the sound through your cabinet, go with a used Vintage 30 for the amp. Don't settle for what he's selling.

The Peavey's got whatever stock speaker came with it. There are no obvious markings on it.

Every Peevey I've seen since the late 80s has had a badge on the grill on the front that says what speaker is in it. Most have been either Sheffield, Scorpion nad Black Widow in sand amps. I think the tube amps have had Blue Marvel or Valve King, but those were newer. I recall that up until the late 90s Peavey did their own speakers, but the tube amp speakers in particular have come from China. It doesn't take much to change a spaker out, so why not take the amp over to the guys joint and swap them around an dplay, then pick the one that you like best? Maybe the G12L and RWB won't sound as good as your Avatar, but you don't know until you try.

Every Peevey I've seen since the late 80s has had a badge on the grill on the front that says what speaker is in it. Most have been either Sheffield, Scorpion nad Black Widow in sand amps. I think the tube amps have had Blue Marvel or Valve King, but those were newer. I recall that up until the late 90s Peavey did their own speakers, but the tube amp speakers in particular have come from China. It doesn't take much to change a spaker out, so why not take the amp over to the guys joint and swap them around an dplay, then pick the one that you like best? Maybe the G12L and RWB won't sound as good as your Avatar, but you don't know until you try.

Makes sense to me..But what the heck do I know? :icon_study:

I appreciate everyones comments. According to the Peavey site it says the Bravo's come with Blue Marvels. This one isn't marked in anyway, and I can't seem to find any badges or stickers on the amp that provide any true indication. It does say 1257-1 on the cone which is supposed to be consistent with a eminence speaker of some sort, and supposedly Eminence is supposed to have manufactured many of the 12' blue marvels.

I tend to agree with the try before your buy scenario since you don't really know what it sounds like till its in there. This amp seems to require some disassembly however to swap the speaker, so it doesn't seem like a minor operation to try. I'm certainly not expecting to have to settle for either of these choices, I will probably just do nothing , and continue to play through the cab. But I guess I'm always just tempted to tinker with things to see if something can make me sound better than I actually am. After all buying cooler gear, does make you a better player.. Doesn't it?

I was just curious whether someone here had any experience with either of these speaker. Supposedly the G12L is supposed to sound a lot like a Vintage 30, and/or a Greenback (I don't have experience with the grenbacks so I don't know if it could possibly sound like both?), and the RWB is supposed to be warm with a bigger bass.

If I actually try either of them I'll certainly report on what I hear.

The Bravo calls for an 8 ohm speaker. The Emi RW&B would sound nice as it is a warm speaker with plenty of headroom (120 watts) and very efficent at 101db sensitivity. It will make the amp louder, warmer and more punchy. I had one in my Deluxe Reverb for a while.

The Bravo calls for an 8 ohm speaker. The Emi RW&B would sound nice as it is a warm speaker with plenty of headroom (120 watts) and very efficent at 101db sensitivity. It will make the amp louder, warmer and more punchy. I had one in my Deluxe Reverb for a while.

I was thinking about trying the RW&B, but was concerned that a speaker rated at 120 watts wasn't gonna get driven enough by a little 25 watt amp. Any truth to that rumor?

I was thinking about trying the RW&B, but was concerned that a speaker rated at 120 watts wasn't gonna get driven enough by a little 25 watt amp. Any truth to that rumor?

A speakers wattage rating is just that; it means it can handle up to 120 watts and not that it can't be driven by a 25 watt amp. Sensitivity ratings are a more important factor when it comes to power output of an amp, input signal and a speakers volume. Magnet size, cone type and voice coil material have much to do with how early a speaker will break up. A good example would be the original Jensen P12P and P12N. Both have a 1.5" voice coil and the same eight ribbed pulp cone. The alnico V horse shoe magnet on the P12P is smaller than the alnico V plug magnet on the P12N, which results in better handling of bass, tighter response, better note seperation and more clean headroom from the P12N. The larger magnet and different voice coil material on the Emi RW&B will make it warmer, cleaner and tighter sounding.

A speakers wattage rating is just that; it means it can handle up to 120 watts and not that it can't be driven by a 25 watt amp. Sensitivity ratings are a more important factor when it comes to power output of an amp, input signal and a speakers volume. Magnet size, cone type and voice coil material have much to do with how early a speaker will break up. A good example would be the original Jensen P12P and P12N. Both have a 1.5" voice coil and the same eight ribbed pulp cone. The alnico V horse shoe magnet on the P12P is smaller than the alnico V plug magnet on the P12N, which results in better handling of bass, tighter response, better note seperation and more clean headroom from the P12N. The larger magnet and different voice coil material on the Emi RW&B will make it warmer, cleaner and tighter sounding.

Slider.. You ser, are an ossifer an a gennleman.. HIC... :D

You are clearly trying to educate me, but honestly, my first impression of what you wrote above was that I was reading Martian. I seriously believe everything you wrote, but I am thinking I'm gonna have read up on on Jensen P12P's and P12N's, voice coils, eight ribbed pulp cones, Alnico V magnets, and then horse shoe magnets. Then I'll review your comments above and see if they make more sense to me.

Whew.. I'll have another drink and tackle this tomorrow! Part of what I'm thinking of now, is a line from a movie I can't remember the title of right now:

"Now explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old"... :lol: (somehow.. that fact that this emoticon is a monkey seems appropriate for me).

Slider.. You ser, are an ossifer an a gennleman.. HIC... :drink2_mini:

"Now explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old"... :lol: (somehow.. that fact that this emoticon is a monkey seems appropriate for me).

Your 25 watt amp will have no problem driving a 120 watt speaker. The difference will be a cleaner, warmer sound with stronger bass.

>Now explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old"...

Your 25 watt amp will have no problem driving a 120 watt speaker. The difference will be a cleaner, warmer sound with stronger bass.

Yeh.. I got that part.. but surely there must be more to it than that!!

See what my poor wife has to put up with :drink2_mini:

Archived