Heritage Owners Club

Newby with a 575 needs string help recomendations!

Jazzerous

post-1901-1269056496_thumb.jpg

Hi guys , I got my first 575 and is my first archtop too!! I tuned and intonated and plugged into my Mesa Boogie Lonestar on the clean channel to check it out. The sound seemed thuddy and unclear. I took it in to my local Boutique shop to check the strings and neck for any warning signs. I did have a 3 day right of return if something was disturbing .The luthier said it had a great neck and the frets were in excellent condition for a 87 or even a five year old guitar for that matter!!! That was fantastic news as I thought it was a piece of guitar art!!!. The strings are ground wounds and said to be thuddy compared to Flat top acoustic guitar strings. I did not know how old the strings were . No idea what I should put on it . Initially I put on a new set of John Pearse Jazz Medium Nickel wound 12- 42 . It sounds alot brighter closer to my flat tops but not the goal ,after all this aint no flat top !!!!I want to string it with a set that would be the best to emphasize the true qualities of this instrument.

Any thoughts or opinions needed and very welcome.

Here is a picture showing the stock pups in it . Thanks in advance Mike!!!

Hi Jazzerous,

I've messed with all string & gauges through the years.On my 575,I use Ernie Ball 12-52" with a wound third.The balance is great,tone great,and they are easy to play.You may need to tweak your truss rod ( get the shop to do it ) .I've also tried D'Addario Chromes,same gauge.Still bright,with a nice twang,and less finger noise !

Peter Alton Green ( U.K.)

I just got my 575 back from a set up..it was Pleked and he adjusted the pickups....they were to close to the strings.....I used D'Addario Chromes flat wound 11's with a wound g and they sound great. I play mostly chord melody jazz on the 575 and use the neck pick up almost all the time and turn the tone to just less then halfway and I can get that nice mellow jazz tone....kind of like a Kenny Burrell tone....

I just got my 575 back from a set up..it was Pleked and he adjusted the pickups....they were to close to the strings.....I used D'Addario Chromes flat wound 11's with a wound g and they sound great. I play mostly chord melody jazz on the 575 and use the neck pick up almost all the time and turn the tone to just less then halfway and I can get that nice mellow jazz tone....kind of like a Kenny Burrell tone....

I use the same on my 575 and LOVE 'EM! I usually keep the tone at about 3, and the volume at about 8 (but turn up the pre-amp)...

post-1901-1269056496_thumb.jpg

Hi guys , I got my first 575 and is my first archtop too!! I tuned and intonated and plugged into my Mesa Boogie Lonestar on the clean channel to check it out. The sound seemed thuddy and unclear. I took it in to my local Boutique shop to check the strings and neck for any warning signs. I did have a 3 day right of return if something was disturbing .The luthier said it had a great neck and the frets were in excellent condition for a 87 or even a five year old guitar for that matter!!! That was fantastic news as I thought it was a piece of guitar art!!!. The strings are ground wounds and said to be thuddy compared to Flat top acoustic guitar strings. I did not know how old the strings were . No idea what I should put on it . Initially I put on a new set of John Pearse Jazz Medium Nickel wound 12- 42 . It sounds alot brighter closer to my flat tops but not the goal ,after all this aint no flat top !!!!I want to string it with a set that would be the best to emphasize the true qualities of this instrument.

Any thoughts or opinions needed and very welcome.

Here is a picture showing the stock pups in it . Thanks in advance Mike!!!

Thanks guys for all the suggestions! I got an email from the prv owner who said the strings on it from 1993!!! I took the advice given to my local shop and they put D'Addario XL Chromes .012-.052 at $16.50 for now and the guitar sings no more wet blanket sound. I will keep the original pups in it as they sound great!!!

Cheers Mike

Bob, gave me this advice and I will pass it along to you.

Thomastik George Benson strings.... expensive yes, but you won't string her with anyother brand after you you these. YES they are that GREAT!

http://www.juststrings.com/toi-gr112.html

Congratulations on your new purchase.

I totally agree with Kuz - Thomastic strings are fantastic. Also, Thomastik Jazz Swing is the same as the George Benson strings. I prefer flatwound.

Kuz, do you use medium light or heavy strings on your guitars? Some say using heavy strings is bad for any guitar, but nickel strings appears to be light compared to steel strings - what do you think, Kuz?

Congratulations on your new purchase.

I totally agree with Kuz - Thomastic strings are fantastic. Also, Thomastik Jazz Swing is the same as the George Benson strings. I prefer flatwound.

Kuz, do you use medium light or heavy strings on your guitars? Some say using heavy strings is bad for any guitar, but nickel strings appears to be light compared to steel strings - what do you think, Kuz?

I use the GB roundwound. Here is the exact specs and I get them from Just Strings http://www.juststrings.com/toi-gr112.html

This gauge is perfect for me and my 575. I had heavier strings on her at one time, and yea I was worried about long term structural issues. Vince Lewis uses 11s and Gorge Benson is the 12-53 so I figure why go heavier.

I use the GB roundwound. Here is the exact specs and I get them from Just Strings http://www.juststrings.com/toi-gr112.html

This gauge is perfect for me and my 575. I had heavier strings on her at one time, and yea I was worried about long term structural issues. Vince Lewis uses 11s and Gorge Benson is the 12-53 so I figure why go heavier.

Thank you, Kuz. Have a wonderful day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, has anyone tried the D'Addario Nickel Wound rounds? I asked for a pure nickel string, the guy gave me these. Got them home & found they're actually nickel PLATED. Ugh...not what I wanted...and he didn't give me a receipt either...now I've got 2 sets. Hope they're nice! Not expecting I'll like them honestly...this is my first hollow body & I know I love pure nickel on my strat...

Archived