Heritage Owners Club

09' H535 ALMSB (Set-Up suggestions)

Redsand

Hey Folks,

I'd like to hear some input from you guys and gals about getting my initial "set-up" done to my 09' H535. I read a few posts in the new guy section that gave me a few options to think about, but I was hoping you seasoned vets could set me straight or at least in the right direction based off a few personal details and your experience with this becon of joy.

How rude of me, I should introduce myself properly, given this is my first post and all. My name is Matt Jay and I've been the pround owner of a Heritage for approximatly 4 days now...long story short , my soon to be wife , staged a ES-335 purchasing intervention with me by secretly buying me this guitar for a wedding present.....un-freeking-believable, I didnt know whether to faint or cry when she pulled it out of the case. Needless to say I'm a very very happy new pappa to a brand new H535.

I love every little thing about this guitar but the factory .009's are a bit too light and the action is quite low for a fingerpicker , I've been gigging exclusively on an acoustic for years. I was flirting around with a ES-335 for a long time because of both tone and that the feel was a little closer to my natural comfort zone as a acoustic player. I do alot of folky, singer-songwritery material with very little soloing. I think this is where I'm obligated to insert nerdy rock quote so yes "He's strickly rythm, he doesnt want to make it cry or sing" could apply to me.

I'm thinking that if I have the guitarman put some nickel wound .11's on and of raising the action a touch. I'm trying to ease the transition into this electric guitar phase with a bit less sloppiness.

What's some of you slide and finger picker suggestions to the "set-up" specs?

P.S.- great site eveyone, this is really really cool. Thanks in advance for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

I second this request for info for finger-picking setups.

As a rocker, I always went for the thinnest necks and strings, lowest action.

Now in my 'mature' yrs, I find myself experimenting much more without a pick and with flatwounds and heavier strings. I seem to need to put a little more curve in my neck action or I get buzzing. But maybe its time for a new nut ?

Hey Folks,

I'd like to hear some input from you guys and gals about getting my initial "set-up" done to my 09' H535. I read a few posts in the new guy section that gave me a few options to think about, but I was hoping you seasoned vets could set me straight or at least in the right direction based off a few personal details and your experience with this becon of joy.

How rude of me, I should introduce myself properly, given this is my first post and all. My name is Matt Jay and I've been the pround owner of a Heritage for approximatly 4 days now...long story short , my soon to be wife , staged a ES-335 purchasing intervention with me by secretly buying me this guitar for a wedding present.....un-freeking-believable, I didnt know whether to faint or cry when she pulled it out of the case. Needless to say I'm a very very happy new pappa to a brand new H535.

I love every little thing about this guitar but the factory .009's are a bit too light and the action is quite low for a fingerpicker , I've been gigging exclusively on an acoustic for years. I was flirting around with a ES-335 for a long time because of both tone and that the feel was a little closer to my natural comfort zone as a acoustic player. I do alot of folky, singer-songwritery material with very little soloing. I think this is where I'm obligated to insert nerdy rock quote so yes "He's strickly rythm, he doesnt want to make it cry or sing" could apply to me.

I'm thinking that if I have the guitarman put some nickel wound .11's on and of raising the action a touch. I'm trying to ease the transition into this electric guitar phase with a bit less sloppiness.

What's some of you slide and finger picker suggestions to the "set-up" specs?

P.S.- great site eveyone, this is really really cool. Thanks in advance for the help.

Nice Guit and excellent Wife!! Confrats you got Keepers!! I have 10's on my 535 her's a pic.

post-1901-1272513304_thumb.jpg

Archived