Heritage Owners Club

laminated vs. carved vs. spruce top archboxes

Guest mgoetting

Guest mgoetting

I know this has been discussed before, so let me see if I got this right.

Acoustically, the carved and laminated maple tops are brighter while the spruce has more warmth. Laminated is more rugged and cheaper to make than carved. Spruce requires bracing.

Amplified, I don't know if there is any consensus about sound.

Comments, corrections?

I've had all these types so I'll jump in but it's just my impressions.

First AFIAK they all require bracing, but I would imaging differing amounts.

I have heard that spruce is darker but that has not been my experience.

Both Eastmans I had were spruce and were quite bright. In fact that's themain reason I did not keep them.

My old maple 575 Custom had a nice tone with a brightness that was easy to control, very versatile.

My Guild X-170 is laminated and also very easy to get *that* jazz tone that everyone is after.

You are right about laminated being less expensive.

Hi 'mgoetting'

I've found,having played various archtops,in varying situations,over the years,the older the archtop used,the woodier it's acoustic sound.The eldest guitars sound like Joe Pass's Virtuoso sound.The younger ones,including my H575 ( 1988 ),have a very much warmer,fuller sound.Last week,a friend played my 50 year old Hofner 'President' directly at me,acoustically,and I was surprised 1) how loud it was & 2) How good the tone was. I think this guitar is a laminated top.Electrically,I think it's largely down to the amp & it's E.Q. I've found,generally that the carved top guitars feed back a little earlier than the laminated & thin bodied models.The more you play them,the better they sound.

Peter Alton Green.

I know this has been discussed before, so let me see if I got this right.

Acoustically, the carved and laminated maple tops are brighter while the spruce has more warmth. Laminated is more rugged and cheaper to make than carved. Spruce requires bracing.

Amplified, I don't know if there is any consensus about sound.

Comments, corrections?

Sir, Yes, indeed, your question has been asked many times but it never goes out of style. Solid spruce is chosen as a tone wood on many guitars, both flattop and archtop. It is also the tone wood of choice on all classical stringed instruments like violins, cellos, etc. The reason is that years of musical experience has demonstrated that it is the nicest sounding wood for the top of such string instruments. The sound is warmer and fuller than maple which tends to have a brighter sound. As for laminate (plywood) tops, spruce ply will still tend to sound warmer than maple ply. Spruce is a softer wood and more prone to damage (cracking, dings, etc) but it just sounds better (to most ears). As others have said, all carved tops (and most ply tops too) will require bracing, especially if they are carved very thin. The inherent strength/rigidity of the piece of wood will determine how thin you can carve it: in most instances, a thinner top will tend to sound nicer because it is freer to vibrate than a thicker top. However, thicker tops are more sturdy and will be less prone to feedback in an electric situation. Most 575s have a fairly thick carved maple top for this reason, but as most of you know, some 575s have spruce tops (and sound better acoustically). Amplified, the type of top - carved versus ply - is less crucial in the overall sound. A good pickup and amp will often compensate for a stiff top lacking warmth or resonance. Hope that helps. Cheers.

Archived