Heritage Owners Club

Air travel

Blunote

I expect to be doing some overseas travel with the H150 that I bought recently.

Until now, I've used a ballistic nylon/rigid travel case with an acoustic guitar that I travel with. I've also been fortunate to be able to carry it on and stow it in an overhead or cabin closet. Even so, there's always been the worry that an airline would insist on checking it as luggage. Even though it was somewhat rigid and had the shock absorbing foam, I wasn't comfortable giving it to baggage handlers.

I'm now planning to travel with the Heritage. I hesitate to use the OHSC (TKL) because I don't see much internal shock absorbing material in it. It also doesn't come with shoulder straps that worked so well with the Lite Case I bought from Stew-Mac for my acoustic. I could buy a similar case for about $100 from them for an LP style. Other cases cost more than the guitar I wan to protect.

If you have experience travelling by air with your guitar, what has your experience been and what would you recommend in my case?

If you're going overseas politely demand that they let you take your guitar into the cabin with you. I've never once been refused (I fly international a lot...to and from LA from the UK) and only once have I had to sorta make a scene. Just smile a big, ole fashioned American grin (Davy Crockett style) and chat up the lady working the desk and you're fine.

EDIT: I should state that I'm smoking hot and women find me utterly irresistable....this may contribute to my success.

[man, I hope you realize I'm joking...... :thumbsup:]

Archived