Heritage Owners Club

Strings for a Modern Rock player

976DAVE

I actually didn't know to adjust the truss rod after a gauge change. Can I do this myself? I know the guitar came with the necessary truss rod adjusting tool. Can I watch a few videos on Youtube to learn how? Also, graphite in the string grooves is completely alien to me, anywhere I can read up on this stuff? Is it worth getting the guitar setup professionally per gauge change?

The Modern Rock I speak of is mostly originals, but if you must know, its mostly melodic pop punk (how vague, i know), I will link to some mp3's when they're posted. It will and has ruined my brain. I also play in a country cover band, somewhat unique for NYC.

I actually didn't know to adjust the truss rod after a gauge change. Can I do this myself? I know the guitar came with the necessary truss rod adjusting tool. Can I watch a few videos on Youtube to learn how? Also, graphite in the string grooves is completely alien to me, anywhere I can read up on this stuff? Is it worth getting the guitar setup professionally per gauge change?

The Modern Rock I speak of is mostly originals, but if you must know, its mostly melodic pop punk (how vague, i know), I will link to some mp3's when they're posted. It will and has ruined my brain. I also play in a country cover band, somewhat unique for NYC.

Unless you know what you are doing, I would let a guitar tec alter the truss rod, I am fortunate in that Peteraltonegreen does mine for me - fine fellow that he is! You can do more harm than good if you do not know what you are doing. Also, the truss rod needs adjusting in spring and autumn with weather changes as wood is organic and does move. Every time you change string gauge the truss rod needs altering because the heavier the string the stronger the tension on the neck becomes and vice versa with lighter strings, so the truss rod is adjusted appropriately to compensate. Graphite is applied to the grooves in the nut, which enable the strings to move within the nut as they are played, a very easy way to do this is to apply pencil shavings and rub them in, or get a graphite nut fitted. Also the benefit of a pro set up is having the frets dressed, the guitar will become instantly more playable. You may also find that to put heavier a strings on your guitar the nut has to be filed to enable them to sit correctly. My son's friend has bought a brand new Gibson SG Standard which to all intents and purposes is a very nice guitar, but the nut is dreadful, the strings do not sit in it, they seem to sit on it.

Of course, it is always good to be able to do this stuff yourself, just let some one teach you who knows what he is doing!

What is this Modern Rock you speak of..... and will it ruin your brain?

John, I am pleased to tell you that modern rock does not ruin your brain. Here are a few examples of what modern rock is:

Brown Sugar,

Honkey Tonk Woman: Rollong Stones

Whisky in the jar

Don't believe a Word: Thin Lizzy

Blowin' Free

The King will come: Wishbone Ash

I think these six examples show you what modern rock is, and thirty years on I am OK!

Yes,Mark,quite right.I always check my truss rod & intonation after each string change,and apply graphite to the string slots in the nut if necessary.I think it's essential that guitarists learn this skill.It saves you a bundle,& your guitar plays spot on all the time.

The next time we alter the truss rods on my guitars, you can teach me how to do it myself. By the way, Yorkshire Life magazine is out now, I saw it in Harrogate yesterday and the front cover says there is an article inside about famous sons of Hull, so I take it that as a professional musician, guitar teacher to the stars and broadcaster of note you will be in there? I could not open it as this month it comes in a sealed plastic bag.

John, I am pleased to tell you that modern rock does not ruin your brain. Here are a few examples of what modern rock is:

Brown Sugar,

Honkey Tonk Woman: Rollong Stones

Whisky in the jar

Don't believe a Word: Thin Lizzy

Blowin' Free

The King will come: Wishbone Ash

I think these six examples show you what modern rock is, and thirty years on I am OK!

LOFL!!!!!

I personally like the Dean Markley 2556 Blue Steel Regular gauge 10-46. Check them out on-line at any of the stores. Great rock tone and very durable. I think the thing to look for, steel strings will provide more output. Three basic kinds of strings: pure nickel wound (softer sound and easier on the frets, vintage tone), nickel plated steel (more output), and the steel strings have the highest output but also the most fret ware. Strings are cheap, try a few and decide for yourself.

All the best,

Mark

The adjustments for truss rod, string height and intonation are dead easy, and I've found being able to tweak the guitar after a change of strings, or a change of season, (heat and humidity) makes for a good playing guitar, and a sense of satisfaction. Plus you don't have to hassle bringing it to somebody, paying them, being without it, etc.

Just read some of the tons of stuff on the net, view YouTube clips, AND GO EASY!!. I jot down what I'm doing, "truss rod 1/8 turn clockwise", so I don't get lost.

Try it, it's easy. My 535 truss rod adjustment is very responsive, one little tweak and I can tell right away. The Strat is a little finicky, I just treat it a little different. Get some feeler guages, understand how to measure, and you're good to go. It's a very simple machine, that's all it is.

I am really interested in learning to do this myself, but since my 535 is my only electric at the moment, I'm afraid of doing something seriously damaging to it and being left with nothing to use at band practice. As an aside, I'm sure there's another board for this sort of stuff, I'm building a guitar from parts and I plan on experimenting with that one as far as the setup goes, that way I have very little to lose should I turn out to be a klutz.

Archived