Heritage Owners Club

New Strings, New Sound

tbrosnan

I've been playing my 1986 Heritage Eagle for 6 months or so and had been struggling somewhat with getting the right tone. It sounded "clangy" and "chimey" despite trying different amps (my Eganter 20, a Roland Blues Cube, and a friend's Acoustic Image) and I was starting to think it maybe just wasn't for me.

From some feedback I received here I recently bought a set of Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing strings and it changed everything. At $16.00 a little pricier than what I normally use on my rock guitars (DR - Blues or Fender Bullets) but I just can't believe the difference. The tone is warm, smooth, and the clanging has disappeared. Highly recommended.

One last point...I bought them and others at JustStrings.com. They have a huge selection of strings and great customer service.

I've been playing my 1986 Heritage Eagle for 6 months or so and had been struggling somewhat with getting the right tone. It sounded "clangy" and "chimey" despite trying different amps (my Eganter 20, a Roland Blues Cube, and a friend's Acoustic Image) and I was starting to think it maybe just wasn't for me.

From some feedback I received here I recently bought a set of Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing strings and it changed everything. At $16.00 a little pricier than what I normally use on my rock guitars (DR - Blues or Fender Bullets) but I just can't believe the difference. The tone is warm, smooth, and the clanging has disappeared. Highly recommended.

One last point...I bought them and others at JustStrings.com. They have a huge selection of strings and great customer service.

Yep, I use TI George Benson round wounds and I buy them at JustStrings as well!!!

I'm with ya. Even though I'm not using TI's as much these days,

I have found them to real make a difference on a "too bright' guitar.

The plated treble strings especially standout as being warmer as compared to

the plain steel ones almost every one else uses.

Just Strings is a great place to get them but I would also offer Strings by Mail,

or Strings and Beyond.

Glad your problem has been solved. Thomastik Infeld make fantastic strings - I use Jazz Swing. I also use Thomastik-Infeld acoustic (AC111 Plectrum Light) strings, which I find to be out of this world. I also purchase my strings from Strings By Mail - excellent service and quick delivery.

I bought my first set of Thomastik for more than 30 years ago. That was pure magic. During the last years I have been even more convinced.

Sliders for my electrics, and Spectrum or Plectrum for accoustic.

My first sets did not have the Infeld name. They also had the name Otto von Seele, and was made for Konsert-Gitarre. Flatwounds.

I still have a set somewhere.

I can't comment on the Thomastik strings, but I was very surprised at the difference different strings can make. Some things I can't hear much of a difference, for instance a guy was telling me the HUGE difference one tube vs. another made in his amp, and I couldn't tell the difference at all. But strings, oh yeah! For me going from 9's to 10's to 11's, not so much, but from brand to brand, and the various wounds, flat wounds, etc., there is a big difference, and I think it's worth the hassle to try different strings to home in on the sound you want.

As I 'mature' I find myself going to thicker strings. I got to try the Thomastiks on my 'stick' soon. From what I gather 16$ is actually a pretty good price for Thomasticks. Locally they are over 20$ here.

I usually compare prices at all three of the above.

Strings and Beyond is a little more but if you buy over a certain amount then shipping is free.

Strings by Mail and Just Strings both have a reasonable flat fee.

Lately on two or three sets, Strings By Mail has been a little less.

They are all excellent on customer service and fast shipping.

Archived