Heritage Owners Club

Sometimes is takes a while!

TalismanRich

When I was out at MusicGoRound checking out the 555 for SkyDog, I ran across a 2x12 Carvin cab. It was one of the older ones, with the 100w British Series BR12-8s in it. From what I have read these were supposed to be an Eminence Legend GB speaker. So while I was there, I pulled out the plastic and took the cab home. There's a one week return policy, so what do I have to lose?

Anyway, as I said in an earlier post, life can get in the way of fun.

Tonight, I finally got around to wiring up a cable to test the cab. (So much for the 1 week return). Good thing it won't be needed.

This thing really rounded out the sound of the DSL401. Maybe it was because I was used to the Guild Thunderbird with a big cabinet and 2 Jensen C12Ns. The Guild had a nice big sound to it, a full bottom, and still could put out some chime. The DSL could chime like a bell, but it seemed to be lacking the bottom end, it just wouldn't move the air the same way.

So, I tried running it with just the 12" Celestion, with only the 2x12 cab, and with both cabs (set to 8 ohms). By itself, the 2x12 seemed to be on the full, dark side. The top end is rounded. Passable, but not what I was looking for. But put together with the internal speaker, it really opens nicely. More bass? That weak bulb in the chandelier finally gave up after a bit of "Hold on Loosely". The picture frame walked across the table, and I swear the metal mail flap in the front door was vibrating. The chime was still there.

In a nutshell, I'm liking it. Its more compact than a 4x12, being just slightly bigger than the DSL401. I can fit the whole thing in the trunk and still put my guitars in there.

Anybody else using an external cab with a DSL401 (or other 1x12 combo)?

Archived