Heritage Owners Club

Fender Princeton clone

H

Hi,

have any HOC members built the Fender Princeton (5F2A Tweed) Weber kit? If so, how would you rate it compared with an original? Is it difficult to build and is it worth building?

I'm looking for a little project that will end up as a usable amp and the YouTube results I've found seem to show a decent little amp.

hi, H. my response will be of limited value to you, but i hope more than none: i have a princeton reverb clone that i had built for me by the Li'l Dawg Amps shop from a Mojotone kit. we put a 12" speaker in, so the amp is not true to the original in that sense. super amp, though, and i'm delighted with the result. good luck, eljay

I don't know how much time & money it cost in building an amp like you mentioned. For me it would be frustration (LOL).

I saw some Headstrong Lil' Kings (an identical copy to the Princeton Reverb) go for cheap lately.

If you don't build it, get the Headstrong Lil' King. It maybe my best sounding amp!!!!!

I don't know how much time & money it cost in building an amp like you mentioned. For me it would be frustration (LOL).

I saw some Headstrong Lil' Kings (an identical copy to the Princeton Reverb) go for cheap lately.

If you don't build it, get the Headstrong Lil' King. It maybe my best sounding amp!!!!!

The 5F2 is the circuit used in the early tweed Princeton. Different animal the the PR and closer to the tweed Champ.

The Weber kit will sound good but the older amps sound the way they do because of the old transformers, something even "boutique" builders can't copy.

The 5F2 is the circuit used in the early tweed Princeton. Different animal the the PR and closer to the tweed Champ.

The Weber kit will sound good but the older amps sound the way they do because of the old transformers, something even "boutique" builders can't copy.

Very true. The reverb aspect seems to bump up the price and build complexity of the kit quite a bit. For $450 this looks like a good deal - some hours of fun building the thing and then tons of fun playing through it.

Archived