Heritage Owners Club

The Heritage

pcovers

I am assuming it went something like:

"We gotta have a name"

"Man I really like the idea of Heritage, for all the obvious reasons."

"Yea, but that name is already owned by someone"

"Man, I still like Heritage"

"I got an idea, let's just call it "The" Heritage, that's not the same as Heritage"

"Sounds kinda funky, don't you think"

"C'mon, man, it's like Heritage, but with a "The" in front.....get it..."The" Heritage"

"Um, yea, I get it..."The" Heritage"

So, there has to be a story to the "The" and another story as to why the idea guy was not talked out of it. B)

Slow morning.......

From the early history of Parsons St. , the history of the "The" in the company name likely relates to mandolins and guitars that were labeled " The Gibson " .

75989_front.jpg2803_front.jpgGibson_L-1_headstock_opt.jpg45U-1139_headstock-front.jpg

Gibson Guitars :Pre-war Script Gibson logo, Pearl or White.

"The Gibson" slanted or straight (depends on model): 1908-1929.

"The Gibson" straight: 1933-1934.

"Gibson" logo transition (without "The"), varies by model: 1928-1934.

Pearl inlaid, high-end models: 1933-1948

White silkscreen, low-end models: 1928-1943.

Thicker "Gibson" on Super 400 and other high-end models: mid 1930's.

Thicker "Gibson" all models: late 1930's.

On a vintage mandolin, a "The" in front of "Gibson" tells you a lot more about when the instrument was made than whether it's high-end. Prior to 1933, lower-end models (A, A-, A Junior, A0, Army-Navy, Alrite) usually had plain headstocks, while mid- to high-end models (A1 through A4, and all H, F, and K models) had "The Gibson" on the headstock. In 1933 the logo was changed to just "Gibson."

Some other "The Gibson" logos. First is my 1920 A-2 Mandolin. Top was refinished in natural laquer, and fretboard replaced years ago, reducing its value (and price) by half, but it is a wonderful instrument. I might buy the 1924 F-5 Loar era mandolin if I had an extra half a million dollars in spare change. Funny what a difference four years and a little refinishing makes in value.

post-2354-1285873720_thumb.jpg

post-2354-1285874191_thumb.jpg

Archived