Heritage Owners Club

NGD tone update

Patrick

I'm sure I don't have to say this to Rob . . but I will anyway; Mr. yoslate, you were absolutely correct!! These P90s are great in a big body jazz box. They display the instant responsiveness to touch that P90s are known for, and when mixed properly they have a very warm and "airy" character about them. I still have much to learn about the proper mix between amp and guitar tone controls . . . but, it represents another aura of the jazz box that has been here to fore unknown to me. I couldn't put the guitar down. I am getting absolutely no single coil hum. The master volume control functions well as just that. I can roll it off a bit . . . no affect on the tone . . .or I can use it as a total kill. I don't imaging I'll ever be playing at a volume that I'll need it . . . and I will very rarely, if at all use the bridge pup . . . so, I really don't need it, the volume knob on the neck pup will serve the same function. But, it's there and I can't change that. After a while, I started to switch back and forth to my 1991 Super Eagle with the single neck mounted Duncan Seth. While there is a night and day difference . . . I would be very hard pressed to say which I prefer over the other. I guess it's going to be a song to song preference. I really liked the way the P90s cut through on "Billies Bounce" . . . but the 1991 with the Seth gave me the warmth I wanted on "Unit 7".

I just wish I knew what brand of P90s these are. No brand markings at all on the bottom. I'm going to call ol' Ren on Monday and ask what he was using back in '95 for P90s. As Rob said, there are only about 6 of these ever made there at Parsons Street. . . and with Ren's memory, I'm sure he'll remember just what he used. What a great guitar!! And, in a pawn shop of all places. Hey, ya just never know.

I personally believe that traditional jazz players are missing a large piece of the tone universe when they neglect the bridge pup. It can be tastefully blended to great effect.

I don't agree . . . .at least if you're talking about real jazz. That sugar coated bull shit that they try to classify as smooth jazz . . . maybe. But straight ahead bebop jazz . . tone is an after thought. It's all about the lines and the language man.♠

:wewantclipszm2:

Yeah . . . good luck with that!! I just recently learned how to post pictures . . and I had to go out and buy a whole new camera outfit to do it. I'm sure it's not that difficult to do . . . just gotta make the time to learn how to do it, then buy some recording equipment.

I don't agree . . . .at least if you're talking about real jazz. That sugar coated bull shit that they try to classify as smooth jazz . . . maybe. But straight ahead bebop jazz . . tone is an after thought. It's all about the lines and the language man.♠

I don't know what your point is about "real jazz". Here's a few who know the pleasures of the bridge pickup.

LarryCoryellGT15-300-0307.jpg

7854.jpg

StanleyJordan.jpg

I don't know what your point is about "real jazz". Here's a few who know the pleasures of the bridge pickup.

LarryCoryellGT15-300-0307.jpg

7854.jpg

StanleyJordan.jpg

The only real jazz player I see there is Jim Hall. Who the hell is that chubby guy running a beer bottle on his guitar strings?? That's a real Larry Coryell look alike . . . but, Larry would never do that ;)

Many jazz players have and play guitars with 2 pups. Joe Pass did, Herb Elis, Grant Green, Kenny Burrell . . on and on and on. They never needed and rarely, if ever used the bridge pup when doing straight ahead jazz. Hell, Joe Pass used to play a Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster for some of his "cross over" attempts. Straight ahead bebop jaz . . all ya need is one . . . or no pick ups. It's all about the lines and the language man.

The only real jazz player I see there is Jim Hall. Who the hell is that chubby guy running a beer bottle on his guitar strings?? That's a real Larry Coryell look alike . . . but, Larry would never do that ;)

Many jazz players have and play guitars with 2 pups. Joe Pass did, Herb Elis, Grant Green, Kenny Burrell . . on and on and on. They never needed and rarely, if ever used the bridge pup when doing straight ahead jazz. Hell, Joe Pass used to play a Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster for some of his "cross over" attempts. Straight ahead bebop jaz . . all ya need is one . . . or no pick ups. It's all about the lines and the language man.

Jeff Beck recently said that his tone mostly comes from his fingers. Your point is well taken.

I'll expect the bridge P90 in the mail shortly, thank you.

I spoke with Ren this morning. He confirmed that the P90s in my recently acquired Super Eagle are Lollars. That's probably why there is no single coil hum at moderate volume levels. Definitely a different sound than Gibson P90s . . . . . but, then again . . . I've never heard Gibson P90s in this particular Super Eagle. Either way, I just love the tone!!

I've been battling a bit of hum from my Gibby P-90's in my LP TV, but you all gave me an idea..Operate the volumes at a bit lower level and maybe it will cut out the buzz..thanks Ya'll..Scott(PS I really love the guitar and am trying hard to be able to use it in a band setting..) Thanks..

Archived