Heritage Owners Club

strings for a H150- nickel vs. steel vs. alloy

MartyGrass

I've settled on GHS Nickel Rockers 10-46. I'd previously used DAddario pro steel, D'Addario pure nickel (nickel plated), Elixer coated nanowebs, and DR Pure Blues pure nickel strings.

Overall, I like the nickel better than steel. I think they ring with a warmer, richer tone. It's also my opinion that they last longer and remain more comfortable to play as they age (I notice that steel e & b strings get sharp faster than nickel). GHS and DR nickel's seem to last as long as other more expensive coated strings.

Having said that, nickel strings seem a bit harder to bend; particularly the DR pure blues. Maybe it's because they're smoother and therefore more easily slip from fingertips.

As mentioned earlier, I've settled on the GHS Nickel Rockers because I've had some bad bad strings out of the box with DRs which also seem a bit harder to bend.

After posting above I went to Just Strings. They show the g b & e strings to be plain steel on the GHS and DR nickels.

Maybe they're right, but those strings feel different than those in all-steel sets.

Archived