Heritage Owners Club

Millie Necks

tulk1

Was talking to my Heritage Pusher today about ordering a Millennium DC. Since he's never actually had one in the shop he couldn't answer about the neck profile. What say ye all thee with Millies. What's the neck profile like? Can you relate it to a 535, PRS or that other brand?

BTW, what do you think of this:

Millie DC

OSB

Chrome Hardware

Vintage Tulip Tuners

Seth Lovers

Coil Tap Switch (maybe)

Hi tulk,

My Millies neck is midway between my 535 ( chunky(ish) !) and my 575 Custom ( slim).

It is also not as deep in profile as my Gbrand early '90s LP Standard.

So basically it is nearer to the '90s LP than my other two Heritages.

Hope this helps ..

Hi tulk,

My Millies neck is midway between my 535 ( chunky(ish) !) and my 575 Custom ( slim).

It is also not as deep in profile as my Gbrand early '90s LP Standard.

So basically it is nearer to the '90s LP than my other two Heritages.

Hope this helps ..

SPG, yeah that does help. If getting a fatter neck is an upcharge, I may just be out of luck on a Millie.  :- I can't do thinner necks anymore. My 535 is about as thin as I like to go. My McCarty (WF) is about what I like to shoot for. Bummer.

I'd call the neck on my Milly DC a medium C.  Chunkier than the neck on the 93 Hamer Special, a little rounder than the neck on my 96 Hamer Studio FM.  Thicker than the neck on the 162V or the 137D, but about the same shape.  In fact, my three Heritages all have nice 'C' shaped necks but of varying thicknesses (thinner to thicker would be 162, 137 Milly). 

In fact, my three Heritages all have nice 'C' shaped necks but of varying thicknesses (thinner to thicker would be 162, 137 Milly). 

Interesting Dick, the neck of my 535 is the thickest of my three Heritiges which go from thin to thick 575 --> Millie --> 535.

That would make my 535 a chunky not a "chunkyish"  :P

It's a Heritage - what you get is what you get. Since when is a custom neck shape (within reasons) and upcharge?  I spec'd the necks on two of my custom Heritges and it was not an upcharge.  Unfortuneatley, they only nailed it on one of the necks.

It's a Heritage - what you get is what you get. Since when is a custom neck shape (within reasons) and upcharge?  I spec'd the necks on two of my custom Heritges and it was not an upcharge.  Unfortuneatley, they only nailed it on one of the necks.

It's also a $3200+ list ($2200+ out the door) guitar. I darned well better get what I want for that $$.  ;)  Not sure the neck spec will be an upcharge. Was just trying to say that the guitar is right over the border on what I can reasonably pay for a guitar as is - Heritage, PRS, Fender, G, whatever. C'mon, thats a ton-o-cash.

It's also a $3200+ list ($2200+ out the door) guitar. I darned well better get what I want for that $$.  ;)  Not sure the neck spec will be an upcharge. Was just trying to say that the guitar is right over the border on what I can reasonably pay for a guitar as is - Heritage, PRS, Fender, G, whatever. C'mon, thats a ton-o-cash.

I'm not picking on you, just preaching what I've been preaching since day one: Heritage neck shapes are inconsistent.  I wish to God they would get a CNC machine, program in some standard neck shapes, and then you could pick the neck shape you like and possibly add a subtle variation (oversize, undersize, etc.).  It seems to be luck of the draw as to what shape you will get.  I spec'd my first H-535 wanting to get a nice deep C shape - I ended up with a nice deep D shape.  I spec'd my Millennium Ltd. with the same specs and they nailed it.  I've owned four 535s, a Millennium Ltd. and my H-157 and none of them had the same neck shape.

GAM,

I was trying to be coy (?) and say it really doesn't matter anymore since I bought an SAE off the 'bay tonite.  >:D.

I didn't think you were picking on me at all, you meanie!!!  :'(

So, what do you think about your Millie LTD? Thats the one with the hollow inlays?

GAM,

I was trying to be coy (?) and say it really doesn't matter anymore since I bought an SAE off the 'bay tonite.  >:D.

I didn't think you were picking on me at all, you meanie!!!  :'(

So, what do you think about your Millie LTD? Thats the one with the hollow inlays?

It was a custom order from Jay when they first came out.  Millienium Ltd.  Arched maple back ala Millienium Eagle.  Chestnut Burst.  Solid traps ala H-150 - I didn't care for the hollowed out ones.  Toggle on upper bout ala 150.  Neck spec'd after my Gword '59 LP RI.  Seth Lovers.  The gutiar was sweet.  I tad heavier than I expected, in fact as heavy as my Les Paul.  I guess all that solid carved maple adds up.  The figuring was very unique and beautifull - it looked like sea shell quilt for lack of a better description.  The arched back made the guitar tilt a little when played standing up.  That and the weight kept it from growing on me.  I ended up selling it to fund another purchase. 

wanting to get a nice deep C shape - I ended up with a nice deep D shape.

Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the difference? Would the D shape be thicker?

Forgive my ignorance, but what would be the difference? Would the D shape be thicker?

Well a C shape is more rounded - it has softer shoulders - the sides of the neck are rounded off more.

A D shape has more wood on the sides - feels more like a 2x4 - which is what this neck felt like!

Archived