Heritage Owners Club

All is good in the hood

lilkuku

As some know I recently bought a beautiful 150 VSB. I immediately had problems with the pups. First, I kept hitting the top of the neck pup with the strings. I went to lower it, but there wasn't any adjustment left, so I raised the action. Then the sound was just too bright for me. I thought I wanted to sell it for sure. I got a nice offer on it, but before the guy committed I had to try some different pups. She looks too good not to. I went with a SD JB in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck. I added two push/pull pots and Wow!, what a huge difference. Sounds just like I want it to. Needless to say it's no longer for sale.

I'm playing through an Engater 65watt combo. The two together are sweeeeeeeeet. I'll post a sound clip tomorrow or Monday

Pat

P.S. Anybody want to buy some SD 59's?

If the wood is good, the hardware can be swapped all day long. I took 59s out of my VSB 150 and put Phat Cats in.

Glad you found a good combination :)

I'm actually going to put in some Lollar Imperial high winds. I went with something 1/2 the price to make sure I could get the sound I wanted from a high wind pup. More bottom end which they did nicely. Although I'll probably have the SD's in for a while. That bridge sound (.033 PIO cap) is perfect. Still looking for the perfect neck tone.

Hey Pat, just trying to understand, when you put in the new pups, that solved the string touching problem? That seems like an unusual problem and I'm just trying to understand what the final solution turned out to be? Thanks.

First, I kept hitting the top of the neck pup with the strings. I went to lower it, but there wasn't any adjustment left, so I raised the action.

Hey Pat, just trying to understand, when you put in the new pups, that solved the string touching problem? That seems like an unusual problem and I'm just trying to understand what the final solution turned out to be? Thanks.

Good question... did the height problem get solved?

Good question... did the height problem get solved?

Probably the springs weren't long enough to give enough tension to lower the pickup or the springs again are too short and pop off the pickup tongue. Either way the pup won't lower.(I've had this happen, switch to longer springs and it lowered more to appropriate level)

Probably the springs weren't long enough to give enough tension to lower the pickup or the springs again are too short and pop off the pickup tongue. Either way the pup won't lower.(I've had this happen, switch to longer springs and it lowered more to appropriate level)

That's it. The pup was too close to the strings. With ten's and my pick attack I was hitting the top of the pup. No room to lower it. What solved it was raising the action and using .11's. With the shorter leg on the new pups I can lower the pup quite a bit, but now the opposite could be a problem with the bridge. The spring is MAXED so the pup is as high as it's going. It's good though so I'm not too worried. The pup rings are about a 16th of an inch bigger than regular rings as well. I tried regular sized ones with the 59's but then the legs hit the bottom of the pup housing (the wood). That's when I'd had enough and it went up for sale. I didn't want to put anymore $ in it, but it is the best top and weight I've had yet.

Her name is Frank E. after an older brother of mine (passed away in 2006) and it was sold to me by Frank.

She's a mutt. I love it. :music_mini2: She's also going to age nicely. :music_mini2:

That's it. The pup was too close to the strings. With ten's and my pick attack I was hitting the top of the pup. No room to lower it. What solved it was raising the action and using .11's. With the shorter leg on the new pups I can lower the pup quite a bit, but now the opposite could be a problem with the bridge. The spring is MAXED so the pup is as high as it's going. It's good though so I'm not too worried. The pup rings are about a 16th of an inch bigger than regular rings as well. I tried regular sized ones with the 59's but then the legs hit the bottom of the pup housing (the wood). That's when I'd had enough and it went up for sale. I didn't want to put anymore $ in it, but it is the best top and weight I've had yet.

Her name is Frank E. after an older brother of mine (passed away in 2006) and it was sold to me by Frank.

She's a mutt. I love it. :music_mini2: She's also going to age nicely.

She's a mutt. I love it. :music_mini2: She's also going to age nicely.

I'm glad it worked out for you. What a cool tribute to your brother. Play the crap out of her!

Archived