Heritage Owners Club

Suggestion of GFS pickups

jgauker

Just found this site.  :)  I've owned a Heritage CM140 since 1988, Honeyburst and from what I can gather it is not a standard 140.  Mine has block inlays and is a thin bodied guitar.  Perfect weight.  J

ust thought I would suggest the GFS pickups at www.guitarfetish.com .  I always loved my 140 but the bridge pup was always too trebly and when I would roll off some with the tone knob it would not have the desired effect, so I put a GFS FAT PAF in the bridge.  Huge difference!  Not so trebly and much clearer and more full tone.  Before I had always thought the neck pup was good but it did not mix well with the GFS, so I put a GFS 59 PAF model in there and bingo, what a great combo of pups. 

One thing that I noticed about my 140 was that early in its life the neck would require alot of adjustments.  I had to work the truss rod alot, it would respond to humidity and temperature changes.  As it has aged the neck has settled down though.  I bought the guitar at Good News Music in Traverse City Michigan in 88.  For pics of me playing it you can go to my bands website at www.thissideup.us.  There are also mp3s and videos you can listen and watch. 

So far I've really enjoyed reading in this forum.

Welcome jgauker. One thing you will find on this forum is the constant need for pictures of any and every Heritage guitar you own,once owned or will own in the near future. Not posting said photo's will result in a relentless barrage of members requests. I thought I would save you from the badgering so

POST SOME PICTURES !!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I also own an '88 H140CM with block inlay,MOP logo,bound neck and headstock which I custom ordered in Oct.'87. I had Duncan '59's in it for years and recently installed a set of '57 classics and just yesterday a set of Lollar Imperials,which sound great. In this guitar it's going to be a toss up between the '57's and the Lollars. I feel the '57's sound a bit more "open" and LP like. The Lollars are tighter and cleaner with just a little more bass response. My 140 is a warm sounding one to begin with,so a little extra top end bite is good.width=360 height=480http://photobucket.com/albums/b376/slider313/Heritage140.jpg[/img]

Welcome dude!

I know how you feel as far as the pups go...i have done some recent experimenting w/ different pups in my Heritages.  I put a set of the new Seymour Duncan P-Rails in my '86 H 170 and a set of Duncan Alnico Pro IIs in my Gary Moore.....both were a perfect fit for each...

oh, by the way...lets see that 140  ;D

Post a pic in the photobucket site and you'll get a karma...  (Yes... I'm resorting to bribery) :wink:

Here's a link to the relevant thread, with instructions...

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/i...pic,1183.0.html

Just a guess... But those trebly pickups... Didn't happen to have been Schallers by any chance... :wink: ;D

I've experimented with GFS pickups in various guitars. I found them to be good value for the price break. Never found them to be outstanding, but good for the $$'s. I know they are good people and stand behind their products. Imagine this: You come up with an idea for some reasonably priced pickups, you become the golden child of a very heavily traffic'd music forum and in 2-3 years you have a multi-million $$ pan-continental company. That's what happened to GFS. Cool deal, eh?

Yes they were Schallers.  I'm at work and don't have pics here but will post some when I get home tonight.  I have a darker sounding guitar, homemade, that I'm to drop the Schallers into and see if they bring that one around.  My 140 is usually what I play at gigs but I also have a cheap Chinese made Semi-hollow body that has absolutely the best neck of any guitar I've played.  It needs new pups as well. Here are some pics I pulled of our web site of me playing my 140.

img]  [img]http:  [/img]

If you can't see them you can always go to my bands website and check it out there.  [www.thissideup.us]

Archived