Heritage Owners Club

After 30 + years, I finally tried the "wrap around" method, here's MHO

Kazwell

Have any of you wondered about the groove along the back of a T-O-M tailpiece ?

While I was fixing up my guitar I came across it and figured it couldn't be there for nothing.

So decided to put it to use by inserting a piece of thick wire onto which the strings are threaded.

I have no idea if this improves things in any way but it looks pretty cool :

width=150 height=113 alt=tail_1http://www.heritageownersclub.com/gallery2/d/1794-2/tail_1.jpg[/img]

As can be seen in the picture I could use some of those Faber spacers.  They are pretty expensive

so I too will try to find something generic.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its pretty easy to remove the lower lip of the bridge post with a vise & Dremel tool. Just watch the threads don't get hit...:(

Well, the 2nd one came out perfect, lol.

Then you can get a generic spacer under there. Just make sure the spacer doesn't hit the wood, just the metal insert in the guitar. Makes sense to have support under there for sure.

What happens when you break a string? ???

Hey, good question !  I rarely break strings so it never occured to me  34.gif

I guess one way would be to use small segments of wire, one for each

string.  Which would probably get lost, especially on a stage.  Oh well...

Tin,

I'll give it a shot.

Breaking the high e when tuning up after top wrapping... your string is coming off the saddle (rear) at less of angle. If it is breaking at the saddle, I suggest... smooth out the saddle slot along the lines of the "new" string angle from the top of the saddle to the tail piece, use some nut sauce or similar lube.

I was looking for pictures of the old-style compensated topwrap bridge. But came across these fully adjustable topwraps at StewMac. Interesting.

Adjustable_Wraparound_Bridge_Detail.jpgAdjustable_Wraparound_Bridge_Detail2.jpg

Here's the more traditional style compensated topwrap. Sorta.

TP_3691-010-1243.jpg

[/img]

Tuck1, I believe he has a Nashville & stop tail not a topwrap like your pretty eye candy posted.

When I set up my 137 the choices presented quite a daunting. I settled on the one as attached... Like?

Well, not sure just exactly how pretty they are with those friggin' screws sticking out the back. :P I thought they were interesting, tho', being adjustable like that. I had only seen the compensated style before.

Paul,

I use the extra metal spacers under tone-pro studs as well as under a one piece stopbridge and it makes sense in this regard.  The Tone-Pro locks the stop bar to the studs but NOT to the body. The Faber locks to the body. Rem has a problem with high stoptails and recommend topwrap to prevent "rocking torque" as he has seen more than a couple of collapsed bridges and is no fan of the torque placed on the studs when raised up. He really liked the Faber solution with locking the studs to the body. Does that make sense?

Who is this Rem fellow?

Any idea how high (meaqsurement would be cool) is too high/becomes an issue?

Thanks!

That would be Mr. Wall @ Heritage who has seen many a collapsed bridge.

Factors... length of the stop screws into the threaded cap and above, how deep the top is carved after the bridge, height above the top, angle from the saddle to the bar and top wrap or standard. Metal threaded into wood over time with tension...potential problems down the road which can be more than just a tone / contact issue.

Actually Rem is Ren at Heritage's dad.  Rem used to do a country western program on regional TV in Michigan and thereabouts.  Ren is the guy who knows the ins and outs of the Heritage guitars and has an opinion about high tailstops.

• 4 weeks later...

After a week of playing with a raised stopbar tailpiece, I switched to top wrap and...think I like it more.  SEEMS to have a slinkier feel (sorry, former F* guy), looks cool, and eliminates the exposed screws on the studs.  No change in tone or sustain apparent.  Did seem to eliminate an odd buzzing/resonance on the G string though.  (Think I sometimes hear vibration from the less loaded spring on the Schaller pickup screws, and keep a screwdriver handy at all times.)  Might still try the taipliece spacers later, but for now I'm a pretty happy camper.  :wink:

Archived