Heritage Owners Club

HRW vs. Seth Lover

snacker

i'm waiting on an H576 with HRWs and after hearing about the shortage of HRWs, i'm wondering what to do - i love the clarity and "hi-fi-ness" of the HRWs, but have never tried the seth lovers (which is what i hear they are replacing the with) - what do you guys think in the H576 - is that the next best thing (or better) - let's hear it!

cheers!

snacker

I have a 555 with HRWs & a Sweet 16 with HRW.

I Have a Cust 555 with Seth Lovers. The Cust 555 has a rosewood board & mohagany neck.

It's hard to compare the 2 555s with one having a maple neck & ebony board with HRWs and the Cust 555 with Mahog neck & rosewood board with Seth Lovers, BUT... I love the Seth Lovers in the Cust  555. More open and airy, more highs, I hear more wood. Basically the classic patient applied for tone.

The HRWs seem to have more mids & lows, less highs and maybe more compressed. I think that's why so many guys like them in their Arch top jazz guitars.

Bottom line to me:

HRW= Jazzy tone

Seth Lovers = Rock/blues tone

Just my opinion, others may differ. I was told back in late Dec that the HRWs are on a 2 month back order and went with the Seths. I wouldn't wait any longer for HRWs if I knew I could get Seths.

Now for Lollars I might do the waiting...

Seth Lovers = Rock/blues tone

Never heard HRW's, but it sounds like they are a great jazz pu from quite a few folks on this forum.

The Seth Lovers are fantastic and very few people aren't satisfied with them. I have been into mixing and matching lately. Sometimes I feel like the neck and bridge of matched sets don't give me enough sonic separation, especially in the middle position.

Some may not agree, but I say, it sounds like in this case, an HRW in the neck pos and a Seth Lover in the bridge would be a great combo and give you a wider tonal spectrum from smokey jazz to hard rock.

I'm begining to feel like a broken record... I think the Seth Lovers are the tits in a semi-hollowbody, the HRWs didn't work for me...

I'm begining to feel like a broken record... I think the Seth Lovers are the tits in a semi-hollowbody, the HRWs didn't work for me...

;D

I'd agree that the Seths give you more of a "wood" sound.

Grab a fork and shove it into an electrical socket, then take a steel toed boot and knock yourself in the head with it - that's what the HRWs sound like.

:afro:

I realize that my last post doesn't help much. :rolleyes:

I have Seths in mY 157 and I love them.  I have HRWs in my 555 and don't really like them, they are too much - too high-fi.  I don't feel like I am hearing any of the guitar with the HRWs, it's too electronic, too much.

I like to play with a mostly clean sound, but a bit of fuzz when pushed.  The Seths do that perfectly in my 157.

Just my opinion though, I'm sure they are great for some applications.

I'd agree that the Seths give you more of a "wood" sound.

:afro:

Huh huh, he said, "wood."  Cool!

That's what I am looking for.  The "wood."  I think this best sums up my love affair with Heritage.  They make the wood do what it is supposed to do....sound good.  I have spent many more hours playing a Heritage electric without an amp than with an amp.  I can get lost in the tone of a couple of notes for a long time.  If it sounds dead unplugged it is dead!  I get great tone from the Schaller's but I want to improve on my guitar's tone.  I think I should upgrade to the Seth's because a good amped woody tone will put the spirit in me faster than anything. 

A lot of the time I will turn the tone knobs all the way down and push the amp to feedback.  The wood does the lord's work this way.  My buds tell me that I need to drop to a 20 watt amp though. 

No HRW experience here either, I had two Heritage guitars with Schallers, and one with Seymour/Seth PAF's that's in the "permanent" collection, I've still got the PAF one and the other two are gone. I've also got a Lollar P-90 loaded H-137 that's not going anywhere.

Archived