Heritage Owners Club

les trem on stat deluxe

big bob

So I put the las trem on the stat deluxe, no drill, no new anything, attaches to the posts.

The tremolo unit is exactly as described,

solid as a bigsby, big, quality construction.

my only qualm about the build quality is that the new posts don't look as fancy as the original ones.

A full tone report will follow as I have just barely had time to get use to the stat.

Which by the way Brent, I played for around 1 1/2 hours today and had just a grand old time, what a huge difference in tones it makes between rail and hum.. love it for rhythm... makes a tone just not possible with the millie, maybe with the prails on the 575 but the big box tone on the 575 and the thin surf tone from the maple top on the stat are real different in a same kinda way?

anyway, initial tuning is quite a bit more work as the high and low e's take quite a few trips throughthe tuner to stabilize.

have not divebomed much but after 1 hr of playing on new strings stable... I think some times the strings catch on the t.o.m.

so the set up would probably benefit more from a roller bridge than locking tuners... but the situation is easily rectified by re wanging the bar....

am having loads of fun with the new sounds...

will post sound clips later... with a up dated in or out of tune report.

thanks for all your support

Bob

stat dl 068.jpg

stat dl 068.jpg_thumb

stat dl 069.jpg

stat dl 069.jpg_thumb

i'm waiting for a les trem to arrive......what to put it on....the 576 or 535...? - i'll let y'all know

SWEET!

get 2 reviews...maybe i'll try one as well?

sorry to take so long to respond, have been out of town surfing.

I installed the les trem as per instructions, boy did it sit close to the body of the guitar, so close that I was afraid if I pulled up to hard on the bar the back of the fulcrum would bite into the guitar's face... so made a trip to lowes and purchased two 1/4 inch nylon spacers and installed them under the trem unit, now the whole unit sits just over a 1/4 inch above the guitar no way it can possibly take a bite. As for the urethane disk, it was made of the same stuff as surgical tubing which I had heard reacts badly with nitro cellulose  so I replaced it with a small  soft rubber washer, would have liked to use felt but because of the placement of the spring ( on a slanted part of the carved top) it would have slid out, I don't think the washer will leave a mark.

(do the strings rest on the tailpiece ) yes the strings mount through the underside of the tailpiece just like on the original stop piece. As you use the bar the back end of the unit pivots when you push down on the bar relieving tension, or pull up on the bar increasing tension..

the manufacturer claims 1/2 step in pitch but because I put spacers under the unit I think it's more than that as it now has more room to travel. 

)Please let us know whether you notice a change in sustain and also if you encounter any tuning problems....)

when I had it installed as per instructions I noticed it did steal a good amount of  sustain, however now with the nylon bushings attached instead of the factory washers I have reclaimed quite a bit but not all the sustain lost.

as for tuning problems the jury is still out, when I installed the trem I put on new strings and as we all know new strings stretch.. and because I keep tweeking the unit I have had the strings on and off several times. It has been three days and I still need to adjust after long sessions, but less and less each time.. will re-review in a couple weeks so keep yous fingers crossed because I do like the unit..

I would have to say my biggest problem is never really having a trem before I don't really know how or when to use it. allways sounds reallllllllllyyyyy forced and out of place...

Bob

I would have to say my biggest problem is never really having a trem before I don't really know how or when to use it. allways sounds reallllllllllyyyyy forced and out of place...

Bob

Well Bob, there is only one way to find out how and when you will use the trem and that will be YOUR way.

Some tips from a frequent tremolo player here: first of all use it sparingly. I don't know what kind of music you play and what you like or if you play in a band. When I play chords (undistorted) in a slow song I love to give them a tiny shimmer when they are just about to fade away, so I touch the handle ever so slightly and only at the end of the chord fading away. This way you give a slight vibrato which sort of adds some mock phasing (or chorus or flangeing, whatever the exact name is) to the sound. When you play in a band you'll hardly notice this effect which is exactly what you want since nobody is waiting for out-of-tune chords. So work on subtle movements of the handle (on more sophisticated trems you can adjust the spring tension or replace the spring with a sturdier type so you won't dive to deep every time you touch it.)

When playing lead guitar you apply the same principle. Play some nice long notes with the distortion of a stomp box or an overdriven amp and just give them some vibrato right at the end of your lick. Leave the handle alone when you play fast runs. This should get you started. When you know how to do subtle vibrato you can experiment with dive bombs and everything else you've been dreaming about while you were putting the trem on the STAT.

Further on you can always have a look at great tremolo users like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Jeff Beck, Steve Lukather or other guitarists of bands you like.

Good luck and don't give up - tremolos are a great enhancement and they can even make you seem a faster player than you are (just hit the handle while you do some soloing)

Thanks for taking the time to give us the details big bob.  In answer to my question you write :

(do the strings rest on the tailpiece ) yes the strings mount through the underside of the tailpiece just like on the original stop piece.

If I understand properly your tailpiece is now in two parts, one part that doesn't move and is fixed to the

posts, and another part that does move and holds the strings.  Looking at your pictures it seems to me

that the strings coming off of the moveable part rest on the fixed part.  Won't there be rubbing here

as you operate the trem ?  I'm wondering if this could even be audible, expecially the wound strings, as

the bumps of the string winds rub on the fixed part ?

Paul P

Thanks for taking the time to give us the details big bob.  In answer to my question you write :

If I understand properly your tailpiece is now in two parts, one part that doesn't move and is fixed to the

posts, and another part that does move and holds the strings.  Looking at your pictures it seems to me

that the strings coming off of the moveable part rest on the fixed part.

you are correct sir.

Won't there be rubbing here

as you operate the trem ?  I'm wondering if this could even be audible, expecially the wound strings, as

the bumps of the string winds rub on the fixed part ?

no not audible,

they rub more on the tune -o -matic bridge, I should probably swap it for a roller...

Paul P

Thanks for the extra info.  I can see your point, it's gotta be worse where the strings

pass over the saddles, hadn't thought of that.  Maybe not too good for the strings or

the saddles.  A roller bridge most likely would be better.

Paul P

Archived