Heritage Owners Club

un-top wrapped 150 pics - which do you prefer?

jastan

My tech had to raise the tailpiece on my 157 pretty high to get the strings off the bridge. Since I don't like the look of top wraping, I was considering a tailpiece like the one on my 555. The strings attach to the top. I think it's a Shaller.

The reason guys started top wrapping had nothing to do with tone or "slinkier" feeling strings. It has been documented it was because on some LPs the strings would come off the ABR-1 TOM and either hit the intonation screws or make it next to impossible to fit a screwdriver in the screws with the strings so close to the screws.

I don't have this issue so I go the original "no wrap" method. (Also with the Nashville TOM and the metal studs in the guitar, it is MUCH more difficult if not impossible to collapse these bridges. On my "Greeny" the strings barely touch the back of the Nashville TOM, but I am afraid to touch anything because of how incredible this guitar sounds & plays. The rest of my guitars I have adjusted so the strings just clear the TOM and then adjust the stoptail to as low as possible without the strings touching the TOM).

Archived