Heritage Owners Club

un-top wrapped 150 pics - which do you prefer?

jastan

I got this 150 a couple of weeks ago. It came top wrapped. I thought it looked cool but in terms of functionality I had nothing to compare it to. When I took it to my tech to have a bone nut installed and a setup he convinced me to have him string it normal. His reason being that I should see/feel/hear what that's like and if I want to we can always go back to top wrapping. So far I don't notice much difference in tension or sustain. Aesthetically I'm on the fence. Here are some pics. What do you guys think?

post-7114-0-11801500-1340287571_thumb.jpg

post-7114-0-77012800-1340287604_thumb.jpg

top-wrapping changes the angle of the strings across the saddles to a lower angle - less tension on the saddles. Not as good a thing for an acoustic guitar, but I doubt there's much difference with an electric, unless it's so low that you start pulling strings out of the slots when you bend.

I think it's gotta be a functional thing, not a cosmetic thing. The three issues it impacts are String angle, keeping it off the back of the bridge is very important. String bending ability, and supposedly tone.

I top wrap on my 535 with nashville bridge cuz if I don't, the strings will hit the back of the bridge on their way to the stop tail. I have to raise the tail ridiculously high in order to prevent it. Top wrapping allows the tail to be flush with the top. I haven't ever pulled a string from the saddle. But then I'm not doingsick bends at the 17th fret like some. As to the ease of bending and tone....I can't tell a difference.

Sure it looks fine...guitar gods named Allman, Gibbons, and Bonamassa all swear by it. But I wonder if the need didn't arise for the same reason as it did on mine. All are playing guitars made in Kalamazoo. There is a variation to neck angle that occasionally demands it, plain and simple.

i do it for a very functional reason, is my point. Soon I'll be retrofitting my guitar with a new bridge, the dimensions will be different and may allow me to return to standard. I think I will if possible. Another issue is that top wrapping can permanently marr the finish on your stop tail.

If you aren't noticing any benefit to top wrapping, why bother.

I prefer the look of non-wrapped, but it really doesn't make a difference .

If I had a guitar that was set up that way, I'd probably not go to the effort to undo it unless there was an issue with it.

I don't currently have a guitar that is top wrapped. But I'd do it if the angle coming off of the bridge needed it , otherwise I'll keep re-stringing the way that I always have.

My H535 uses the topwrap method.

I tried it to see what difference it could make. Two things stand out:

> It allows the bridge to be screwed all the way down, making maximum contact with the body. Does this increase sustain? I don't know. The guitar had fantastic sustain before I changed it, and it still does.

> It definitely makes the strings feel a bit looser/slinkier/easier to bend. For me, this is a good thing.

It's a personal choice thing. You can't go too far wrong either way.

returning to the original post

1) that's a seriously beautiful guitar, man

2) are those black saddles I see? I know they can often be had with finishes or in other materials.

3) I'm guessing that your tech thought it 'should' be strung normally? did he say why?

I top wrap my Les Paul as I like to crank my tail piece all the way down and after collapsing not one but two ABR-1 bridges I thought it might be time to start top warrping. My 535s didn't have enough break angle at the bridge when top wrapped.

I top wrap my Les Paul as I like to crank my tail piece all the way down and after collapsing not one but two ABR-1 bridges I thought it might be time to start top warrping. My 535s didn't have enough break angle at the bridge when top wrapped.

yeah, i don't know the vintage of your Lester...but I'm guessing more often then not, this is the reason folks do it.

returning to the original post

1) that's a seriously beautiful guitar, man

2) are those black saddles I see? I know they can often be had with finishes or in other materials.

3) I'm guessing that your tech thought it 'should' be strung normally? did he say why?

Thanks Smoke. I really love everything about this guitar. I feel like a won the guitar lottery. It just sounds monstrous with the WCR Godwoods.

The saddles are Graphtech. They came with the guitar. I'm might replace them with nickel or chome saddles. I just prefer the look.

The tech did suggest it. He just thought since I've never had a LP style guitar it might be best to set it up "normal" first to see how I'd like it. He gives a 30 day warranty on setups so if I want I can have him switch it back. I'm thinking about just leaving it. It still feels pretty slinky to me, most likely because I'm used to 25.5" scale length quitars.

I personally prefer to be top wrapped. Strings seem to be a little more playable that way and it decreases the sharp angle the strings meet the saddle...

exactly -what he said! I much prefer the top wrap!

Functionally, the only thing that really matters is the angle of break over the bridge. I like the break to be as steep as it can be without the string touching the back of the bridge. I do not top wrap, put bring the tailpiece down until just before one of the strings touches the back of the bridge. I suppose if I couldn't get the tialpiece down very far before a string touched, I'd top-wrap so that the tailpiece was not sitting up too high on the guitar. The biggest advantage of the top-wrap is that you can simulate the angle of break you get with a trapeze tailpiece, which is typically much flatter than the usual stop-tailpiece set-up.

I'll second top wrapping for the same reasons several have mentioned, regarding break angle over the bridge, which enables screwing the tailpiece onto the top, and the "feel" of the strings in playing.

I top wrap. I had a Nashville Bridge collapse on a Les Paul I used to own. After that experience, I started top wrapping the bridge. I also found the strings feel a bit lighter to bend. I like it so much, I haven't considered going back.

Archived